Otar Eranosyan scheduled to face former titlist Roger Gutierrez on Aug. 9
Otar Eranosyan and his handlers believe the unbeaten charge is amongst the best at 130 pounds.
Eranosyan will attempt to demonstrate that, as he squares off against former world titleholder Roger Gutierrez on August 9, Svyatoslav ‘Stan’ Mangushev, Eranosyan’s manager, told The Ring Monday.
The 12-round world title elimination bout will take place at the WhitesandsEvents Center in Plant City, Florida and will stream live on the ProBox TV application and YouTube channel.
The 29-year-old Eranosyan will take a significant step-up in opposition, on paper, as Gutierrez is currently ranked No. 7 by The Ring at in the junior lightweight division.
In his last fight on May 17, Eranosyan (13-0, 6 knockouts), who now resides in Miami Beach, Florida, defeated Edy Valencia by unanimous decision. The victory over Valencia came over eight months after Eranosyan defeated former world title challenger Cesar Juarez by decision.
Eranosyan, a Armenian national who grew up in the country of Georgia, has fought on a handful of ShoBox cards, which Mangushev believes improved his skill-set and made Eranosyan more familiar with boxing fans.
Mangushev is confident boxing fans have yet to see the best of Eranosyan and will make a statement at the expense of Gutierrez.
“Otar was an amateur star and won many medals and championships (before turning pro),” Mangushev told The Ring. “Otar defeated unbeaten fighters in Starling Castillo and Jose Argel.
“Roger Gutierrez entered this WBA eliminator as the No. 1 ranked contender. We understand Otar is looked at as the underdog, but we are confident Otar is ready and will win this main event against Gutierrez.”
Gutierrez (27-4-1, 21 KOs), who resides in Maracaibo, Venezuela, was victorious in his last fight on March 3, knocking out once-beaten Henry Delgado in the second round. In his previous fight on August 20 of last year, Gutierrez lost the WBA world title belt, dropping a unanimous decision to Hector Garcia of the Dominican Republic.
The 28-year-old once fought under the Golden Boy Promotions banner. Gutierrez lost to Hector Tanajara, Jr. and Oscar Duarte in 2018, scored a knockout win over junior lightweight contender Eduardo Hernandez the following year, Recently, Gutierrez scored back-to-back wins over Rene Alvarado in 2021.
Francisco A. Salazar has written for The Ring since October 2013 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. Francisco also covers boxing for the Ventura County (California) Star newspaper. He can be reached at [email protected]