Antonio Orozco to face Martin Honorio in rematch on Friday night
Undefeated junior welterweight Antonio Orozco will return to action on Friday night, Golden Boy Promotions matchmaker Robert Diaz told RingTV.com on Wednesday afternoon.
Orozco will take on former contender Martin Honorio in an eight-round rematch at the Belasco Theater in Los Angeles.
“The fight is to have him shake off some rust,” Diaz told RingTV.com. “This fight is for him to get ready for bigger and better fights.”
Orozco (26-0, 17 knockouts) has not fought since April 1 of last year, when he stopped Keandre Gibson in a clash of unbeaten fighters promoted by Golden Boy Promotions. The San Diego resident was scheduled to fought on September 22 against Roberto Ortiz but weighed seven pounds above the 140-pound limit.
Orozco, who is managed by Frank Espinoza, was scheduled to face Fidel Maldonado Jr. in December of 2016 but reportedly fainted a few days before the fight, due to dehydration in an attempt to make weight.
The 30-year-old Orozco is ranked No. 11 by the IBF, at junior welterweight.
Honorio (33-12-1, 16 KOs), who resides in Mexico City, has lost six of his last seven bouts. Honorio faced Orozco in May of 2014, losing a 10-round unanimous decision.
In the main event, Seniesa Estrada (11-0, 2 KOs) will square off against Sonia Osorio (10-5-1, 1 KO) in an eight-round flyweight bout. The fight will headline a three-bout “Boxeo Estelar” telecast on Estrella TV (10 p.m. ET/ 7 p.m. PT). The Orozco-Honorio bout will air live on RingTV.com and on EstrellaTV.com at 8:15 p.m. ET/ 5:15 p.m. PT.
Francisco A. Salazar has written for RingTV.com since October of 2013 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. Francisco also covers boxing for the Ventura County (California) Star newspaper, BoxingScene.com and FightNights.com. He can be reached by email at [email protected] or on Twitter at FSalazarBoxing.
You can order the current issue, which is on newsstands, or back issues from our subscribe page.