Wednesday, February 08, 2023  |

News

De La Hoya talks Golden Boy’s future, Cold War’s end, Alvarez’s next fight

13
Sep

LAS VEGAS – Oscar De La Hoya is one of the busiest diplomats in boxing. He has been mending fences with HBO Sports and Top Rank boxing, trying to bridge the gap between Bob Arum and Al Haymon and shuttling back and forth between LA and Mexico to try to get Saul “Canelo” Alvarez settled on a date and an opponent for his next fight.

And oh yeah, he’s helping Floyd Mayweather, Jr. promote his rematch against Marcos Maidana at the MGM Grand on Saturday night and also De La Hoya is involved in a $50 million arbitration with Richard Schaefer, the former CEO of his company Golden Boy Promotions. It’s exhausting just listening to De La Hoya answer questions about all the things that are going on with him these days.

De La Hoya spent Thursday meeting with Arum to talk about some future matches that could benefit both companies and entertain boxing fans – such as Alvarez-Miguel Cotto and Danny Garcia-Manny Pacquiao. And he spent part of Friday afternoon before Mayweather and Maidana weighed in for their match talking to reporters about everything swirling around Golden Boy, including his continued efforts to do co-promotions with Top Rank.

“We had a great meeting yesterday,” De La Hoya said. “I think the perception that people are getting is that Golden Boy and Top Rank meet and we’re going to see great fights. It’s not that easy. It’s complicated. The fact that we’re making the effort to open the dialogue and meet face-to-face and open the discussions to try to make these fights is a great start, because before that there was nothing.



“We’re moving in the right direction. I think Bob is on the same page and I think Todd (duBoef, Top Rank President) is on the same page. We just have to figure out the details because it’s a web and we want to make sure we don’t ruin any type of relationship. We don’t want to cross any lines with our sponsors. So it’s going to take some time.”

De La Hoya said several names came up with regards to making future fights with Top Rank, including Alvarez and Mikey Garcia. He said the first real promotion between the two companies could come around Cinco de Mayo next year.

There is nothing set in stone with regards to Alvarez’s next fight. De La Hoya said it will be in December, possibly Dec. 6. But he will travel to Mexico next week to try to find out exactly who Alvarez would like to meet.

It would appear that making Pacquiao-Garcia would be troublesome because Garcia is represented by Haymon and he doesn’t get along with Arum. But De La Hoya is taking a positive approach to making the fight.

“It wouldn’t necessarily be Al and Bob working together,” he said. “It’s Golden Boy, the promoter (for Garcia) and Bob working together. I’ll give you an example. There’s a manager that I’m not too fond of that Top Rank works with. I’m not going to work with him. I’m going to work with Bob. I think we’re on the right path.”

De La Hoya was asked about his take on Peter Quillin relinquishing his WBO middleweight title and leaving behind $1.4 million that had been offered by RocNation Sports after they won a purse bid for his match against Matt Korobov. Quillin is represented by Haymon and RocNation is trying to make an entry into boxing.

“It was his (Quillin’s) decision. It was a personal decision he made with his wife,” De La Hoya said. “I have to respect it as his promoter. I can’t go against him especially when he made the decision because of his baby and wife. I respect that. It’s fine. Was that going to be an exciting fight the world would want to watch? Who knows?”

De La Hoya said he has a good relationship with Haymon, who also understands that good fights need to be made.

“I have a relationship with Al that is understanding to the fact that we’re on the same page,” he said. “Now finally we’re making these fights happen. The public is crying out loud. The media is putting on the pressure. We can’t take it anymore. We have to do it. We must do it.”

De La Hoya said he hopes to continue to help Mayweather promote his fights in the future. Mayweather has two more fights remaining on his contract with Showtime after he meets Maidana tonight and has said he will retire after that. That would take him to September 2015.

“We’ve got the best team in terms of promoting, so I would like to think we will continue to promote Mayweather,” De La Hoya said.

As for his arbitration with Schaefer, who resigned from the company on June 2, De La Hoya is seeking $50 million in damages that he believes Schaefer inflicted on the company while he was working there. De La Hoya hasn’t spoken specifically about what those damages are. He said the arbitration has not been a distraction.

“We feel by December we will have some kind of resolution and we feel very confident that the case will be resolved in our favor. It’s a concern, but not a distraction,” he said. “We’re going to continue to move forward and do what we do best.”

 

close

SIGN UP TO GET RING NEWS ALERTS