Sunday, December 03, 2023  |



Adrien Broner turns himself in to police, then posts bond

Fighters Network


Adrien Broner lands on Ashley Theophane on Friday.

Adrien Broner lands on Ashley Theophane on April 1 en route to a ninth round stoppage.

Adrien Broner finally turned himself in to the Cincinnati police on Monday at approximately 9:44 a.m on charges of felonious assault and aggravated robbery after he was allowed to participate in a fight in Washington, DC on Friday with two active warrants for his arrest.

Broner then posted bond (10 percent of $100,000) on Monday morning. Broner, 26, is scheduled to appear Tuesday in the Hamilton County Justice Center Room A for his arraignment at 9 a.m., according to Julie Wilson, Chief Assistant Prosecutor and Public Information Officer for the Hamilton County Prosecutor’s Office.

Broner kept his fans abreast of his whereabouts on social media on Monday, tweeting, “Time to turn myself in…I love all the support you people been giving me #AboutBillions.” Broner did the same when he posted bond and left police custody, “They let me out y’all,” he tweeted three hours later.

The boxer and his attorney, Will Welsh, reached an agreement with the Hamilton County Prosecutor’s Office that he could partake in his nationally-televised fight on Friday against Ashley Theophane on Spike at the DC Armory with the understanding he would have to turn himself in to Hamilton County authorities on Monday.

With two active warrants for his arrest, Broner stopped Theophane in nine rounds on Friday in what was a bit of a surreal scene because of the seriousness of the charges against him. Because Broner didn’t make weight on Thursday, he was stripped of his WBA junior welterweight title, which is now vacant, and had to pay Theophane a reported $50,000 to allow the fight to go on.

Broner allegedly beat up and robbed a man of thousands of dollars at gunpoint on Jan. 21 outside of a Cincinnati bowling alley after he lost the money in gambling wages, according to the Cincinnati police. The warrant was initially cast nationwide, the Hamilton County Prosecutor’s Office acknowledged, which would have allowed the DC police to pick up Broner and potentially extradite him to Cincinnati. The DC police were in contact with Cincinnati authorities on numerous occasions before Friday, ready to pick him up, according to Cincinnati Detective Charles Zopfi.

But Broner was never arrested before the fight. The Hamilton County Prosecutor’s Office changed the scope of the warrant, according to Wilson, to include only the state of Ohio. That allowed Broner to remain free to fight without risk of arrest while he was in DC, where he also trained for the fight. On Monday, Broner finally turned himself in, ending one of the stranger recent sagas in boxing.





You can subscribe to the print and digital editions of THE RING Magazine by clicking the banner or here. On the cover this month: Manny Pacquiao goes into what is possibly his final fight against fellow pound-for-pound entrant Timothy Bradley, on April 9. You can also order the current issue, which is on newsstands, or back issues on our subscribe page.