Manager: Marcos Maidana to return in April or May
The manager of Marcos Maidana met with advisor Al Haymon last week toward determining a return to the ring for the hard-hitting Argentine, potentially “in April or May.”
THE RING’s No. 5-rated welterweight, Maidana (35-5, 31 knockouts) is coming off consecutive losses to Floyd Mayweather Jr. (47-0, 26 KOs), THE RING’s 147-pound champion and holder of the WBA and WBC titles. Before falling to Mayweather by majority decision in May and unanimous decision in September, Maidana, 31, had won four consecutive fights as a 147-pounder.
“There is no big news for now. Marcos is resting after an intense 10 months of fights and six months away from his family and a new baby born. I think that he deserves to rest a little bit. He’s entitled to that,” said Sebastian Contursi, adding that Maidana has been spending time with his family, including his daughter, Emilia, who was born in March.
“I had a meeting with Al Haymon last week and we were just talking. There are a lot of big names out there for Marcos, given that he is with Al Haymon,” said Contursi. I didn’t mention anyone in particular and there are no dates; there is nothing firm or planned or no fight so far but when the opportunity arises, we will know.”
Pushed for the potential fights on the horizon for Maidana, Contursi listed several names within the stable of Haymon, which include Mayweather, Danny Garcia, Amir Khan, Devon Alexander and Keith Thurman, to name a few.
“You know who Haymon’s fighters are but I didn’t want to talk too long about this name or that name. But there are plenty of them there,” said Contursi.
“There’s Danny Garcia, Andre Berto, Amir Khan, Devon Alexander, Keith Thurman. You know, all of them are there and next year, all of them could be potential opponents for Marcos.”
Khan will face Alexander in a Dec. 13 clash of former titleholders who are rated Nos. 9 and 10 by THE RING at 147 pounds. They will headline an event at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas whose undercard will feature RING No. 7-ranked Thurman in a 147-pound clash of unbeatens against Leonard Bundu.
THE RING’s 140-pound champion and holder of the WBA and WBC belts, the undefeated Garcia worked out a step aside agreement with WBC mandatory challenger Viktor Postol, permitting Garcia to make a defense before facing the undefeated Russian.
A two-time welterweight beltholder, Berto ended a 13-month ring absence in September with a unanimous decision victory over Steve Upsher Chambers. Berto had lost three of his previous four fights prior to Chambers and was coming off a 12th-round stoppage loss to Jesus Soto Karass in July 2013.
Before facing Mayweather, Maidana’s had dethroned previously unbeaten Adrien Broner by unanimous decision, dropping him once each in the second and eighth rounds for the WBA title in December 2013.
The victory over Broner ended a run of three straight stoppage wins for Maidana, whose previous loss had come by unanimous decision to Alexander in February 2012, representing Maidana’s welterweight debut.
“Once again, it’s up to Marcos when he wants to return. His daughter was born just a few days before he traveled to the first fight with Floyd, so she must be six months old now,” said Contursi.
“But his last fight was in September, so I would think that if a good opportunity arises, that he could return sometime in April or May; who knows? There’s a lot of options and big opportunities for Marcos but it’s up to him. We don’t want to rush him. It’s up to Marcos when he want to come back.”