"I did all of my training times two. This has been the longest camp of my career," said Vera, whose initial bout with Chavez took place in Carson, Calif., at a 173-pound catchweight because Chavez was not able to make the originally contracted 168-pound limit.
"I sparred against heavyweights to get ready for Chávez Jr. I am going to beat him for the second time. Everyone knows I won the first fight. This is a serious fight with only one ending …I will get my hand raised."
Vera (23-7, 14 knockouts) and Chavez (47-1-1, 32 KOs) will battle again in a super middleweight return bout in Vera's home state of Texas.
"Vera has not seen the best Julio," said Chavez, considering himself to be in the best shape since he stopped Andy Lee in the seventh round in June 2012. "I had my best training camp since I fought Andy Lee. I am ready to fight."
Just before training camp began, Chavez's fiance, Frida Munoz, gave birth to their daughter, Julia.
"Having my little daughter, Julia, with me gives me extra motivation. Vera earned his second opportunity because of the way he fought in our first fight," said Chavez.
"Vera is a true warrior. I have had much success in Texas, especially in San Antonio and am looking for giving the fans something they can remember – hopefully the Fight of the Year."
FELIX STURM-MATTHEW MACKLIN II IN PLAY FOR LATE MAY
England's Matthew Macklin (30-5, 20 KOs) wants a rematch with IBF beltholder Felix Sturm (39-3-2, 18 KOs) of Germany, owner of a disputed split-decision over Macklin in June 2011.
"Certain fights are big fights because of their history, and Macklin and Sturm have a history. Their fight was a terrific fight, and for Matthew, who I thought clearly won it, that is one that he really wants," said Macklin's promoter, Lou DiBella.
"If you're looking for a fight with Felix Sturm, there is no fight that you could make that would be more interesting for boxing fans than a rematch with Macklin. We've had some initial discussions with Felix's people, and Matthew would accept the fight for a very modest purse in order to get the opportunity. If Macklin got the decision this time, he would give Sturm the rubber match."
Macklin is 2-2, with one knockout since falling to Sturm.
In succession, Macklin lost by 11th-round knockout to RING champion Sergio Martinez, whom he dropped in the seventh round March 2012; knocked out Joachim Alcine in the first round in September 2012; fell by third-round knockout to WBA beltholder Gennady Golovkin in June of last year; and unanimously decisioned Lamar Russ in his last fight in December.
Since beating Macklin, Sturm (39-3-2, 18 KOs) is 3-1-1 with three knockouts. Sturm battled to a draw with Martin Murray in December 2011, knocked out Sebastian Zbik in the ninth round in April 2012; lost by split-decision to Daniel Geale in September 2012; and scored knockouts in the fourth and second rounds over Predrag Radosevic and Darren Barker last July and December, respectively.
Sturm dropped Barker twice in the last round for the IBF belt, which Barker had earned by split-decision over Geale in his previous bout last August.
"Sturm has an offer out to Martin Murray, and I don't know if that fight is going to happen. Macklin has always felt that there was unfinished business with Sturm, and Sturm had a great showing the last time out with Darren Barker and won the fight. But Matthew has agreed to take very short money to get the opportunity," said DiBella, who confirmed that a date of May 31 is being considered.
"That's the date that I've heard that Sturm was going to fight, in late May. But Matthew will be available for whatever date Sturm wants to do the fight. Of course, Matthew would go to Germany. He wants Felix to know that if Felix was to give him the opportunity, and if he defeated Felix, that he would give Felix an immediate rematch."
SINUS INFECTIONS SIDELINES MICKEY BEY FOR FRIDAY'S MAYWEATHER PROMOTIONS CARD
A sinus infection has caused lightweight standout Mickey Bey to pull out of Friday's undercard bout with Alan Herrera that was slated for a ShoBox: The New Generation card at the Turning Stone Resort Casino Event Center in Verona, N.Y., Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe informed RingTV.com.
The 30-year-old Bey (19-1-1, 10 KOs) was to be part of a card whose main event matched super middleweight prospect J'Leon Love (16-0, 9 KOs) and Vladine Biosse (15-2-2, 7 KOs), and includes world-rated super middleweight Badou Jack (16-0-1, 11 KOs) against Derek Edwards (26-3-1, 13 KOs), and middleweight prospect Chris Pearson (10-0, 9 KOs) against Lanardo Tyner (31-8-2, 20 KOs).
In non-televised bouts, super middleweight prospect Luis Arias (8-0, 4 KOs) will face Dashon Johnson (15-14-3, 5 KO’s); Ronald Gavril (7-0, 5 KOs) will meet bantamweight Cameron Allen (5-14, 3 KOs); and both junior featherweight John Franklin (6-0, 3 KOs) and cruiserweight Omontunde Tabiti (4-0, 4 KOs) will be in action against opponents to be
TOMASZ ADAMEK FACES FORMER SPARRING PARTNER VYACHESLAV GLAZKOV ON MARCH 15
Heavyweight contender Tomasz Adamek (49-2, 29 KOs) plans to show his class against former sparring partner Vyacheslav Glazkov (16-0-1, 11 KOs) when they meet on March 15 as part of NBC Sports Net's Fight Night series at the Sands Casino Resort in Bethlehem, Pa.
Adamek and Glazkov were originally scheduled to meet in November before Adamek complained of feeling ill during the week of the bout and pulled out. Glazkov unanimously decisioned Adamek's replacement, Philadelphia’s Garrett Wilson.
"I watched the last fight, but the last opponent wasn't Tomasz Adamek, he was a different fighter. You can't compare that opponent to me. When Tomasz gets in the ring it's a different fight. You will see on March 15. I am going to show my class," said Adamek.
"I sparred with Glazkov, but sparring is just sparring. Verification is always in the ring. You can spar with somebody for two years and when you go into the ring it can be a different story. Sparring is sparring, training is training, but the fight is the fight."