Thursday, June 13, 2024  |



Jose Felix Jr. stops Alan Herrera in three rounds

Jose Felix Jr. celebrates after stopping Alan herrera in three rounds on Oct. 14, 2016, in Studio City, California. Photo by Mikey Williams/Top Rank Promotions
Fighters Network

STUDIO CITY, California – Mexican lightweight standout Jose Felix Jr. earned another victory after dispatching Alan Herrera with enough right hands to force a stoppage in the third round of their main event at the Sportsman’s Lodge on Friday.

The fight, which promoted by Top Rank, topped a “Solo Boxeo” broadcast on UniMas.

Fighting out of Los Mochis, Felix (35-1-1, 27 KOs) was patient early on but when landing one big straight right hand off the double jab in the opening round, he gave a sneak peek to the catalyst of his success. Herrera didn’t quiver from the only notable shot of the opening round, but he came out noticeably different in the following round.

Herrera, a fellow Mexican from Mazatlan, did his best to control the center of the ring behind a jab of his own, and for the most part, Felix welcomed the idea by boxing on the outskirts of the ring. Even though Herrera’s plan systematically worked, Felix outboxed him with ease and at the same time became a harder target to hit.

In the fateful third, Felix found an opportunity to land his right hand with his back facing the ropes. He lunged in with it, and it landing square on Herrera’s chin forced his body backward on it’s backside. After withstanding referee Raul Caiz Sr.’s 10 count, Herrera seemed fine back on his feet, but Felix smelled blood and didn’t let him dictate anything going forward.

Herrera (34-9, 22 KOs) found himself fighting backward once Felix decided to let his hands go. Mixed in with left hooks to the body, Felix could be seen with his right hand cocked, and ready to send Herrera back to the mat. That right hand landed on a couple of occasions and seemed to stun Herrera into retreat as an effect. On Felix’s final shot, Herrera dropped his hands for the slightest moment, and that was enough for Caiz to wave off the bout at the 1:42 mark, even though he was still on his feet.

Ryan “King Ry” Garcia scored a technical knockout victory after his opponent, Mario Aguirre, didn’t answer the third-round bell. The lightweight contest was scheduled for four rounds.

Garcia (5-0, 4 KOs), an 18-year-old prospect from Los Angeles, answered the opening bell firing on all cylinders. His 5-foot 11-inch frame was an instant problem for Aguirre to hurdle, but it didn’t help that Garcia was aggressive at a distance. Soon enough, Garcia disregarded his long jab, and started throwing lead power shots that more often than not, caught the head of Aguirre. Whether it be a lead straight right hand, left hook, or even right uppercut, Garcia couldn’t miss his target.

Aguirre (2-5, 2 KOs), almost found himself on the canvas in the second round after an overhand right stunned him, and while the 29-year-old Mexican fought through the remainder of the round, he was realized as a beaten man before the third round. Regardless of him getting a spectacular finish he was seeking, Garcia certainly turned in one of his best performances since making his pro debut this past June.

Kicking off the “Solo Boxeo” telecast, Alejandro Guerrero got the unanimous decision victory over Manuel Lopez after four exciting rounds of lightweight action. All three judges ringside turned in identical scorecards of 39-37.

Fighting out of Irving, Texas, Guerrero (2-0, 1 KO) set the precedent of what was to come by starting off the fight with whipping left and right hooks. Lopez (1-3-1, 1 KO), Phoenix, Arizona, had no choice but to fight back as Guerrero made himself susceptible to the dame kind of shots, and what came about was a firefight. After a stellar first round of action, Guerrero’s left hook seemed to overwhelm Lopez, but he walked to his corner with a small cut near his right eye.

The action continued in stride, but the same result remained after seemingly every exchange – Guerrero’s hooks were cleaner and stronger when compared to Lopez’s. Although both men landed their fair share of shots, neither were visibly hurt, and other than a small break of the action in the third round – when Lopez tripped to the canvas and took time to tend to a hurting foot – the fight lived up to its launch of relentless action up until the final bell.

Better known as “The Mean Machine,” Egidijus Kavaliasuskas was tested against Cameron Krael and came away with a close unanimous decision as a result. All three judges favored Kavaliauskas with identical scores of 77-75 in what was an eight-round welterweight contest.

Kavaliasuskas vs. Krael. Photo / Mikey Williams-Top Rank

Kavaliasuskas vs. Krael. Photo / Mikey Williams-Top Rank

Kavaliauskas (15-0, 12 KOs) was tentative to unfurl the heavy hands that earned him his alias, but after a couple of strong jabs and busy feints in the first, the 28-year-old Lithuanian showed signs of comfort. His complacency is driven by establishing his offensive attack, and Kavaliauskas began to land his power right hand that kept Krael in motion and big-eyed in the second round.

Those right hands from “Mean Machine” found their mark around the guard of Krael, and on a few occasions the force of them bellowed so loudly, it was a wonder how the Filipino opponent from Las Vegas managed to stay up. Midway through the fight, however, Krael (8-12-1, 1 KO) used his hand speed to pepper Kavaliauskas with shots on the inside, and used his feet effectively to get out of harm’s way. One overhand right by Krael in the seventh round forced a cut over Kavaliauskas’ right eye, and it leaked for the remainder of the fight. He also forced Kavaliauskas to fight with his back off the ropes for much of the final two rounds, and judging by how ineffective he was, Krael was a bit of a monkey wrench thrown into the gears of “The Mean Machine.”

In the opening bout of the Top Rank Promotions card in association with Bash Boxing, Russian junior welterweight prospect, Maxim Dadashev, handled Eddie Diaz with a wide unanimous decision (60-54, 60-54, 60-53).

After establishing an early jab in order to gauge his distance, Dadashev (4-0, 3 KOs), slowly crept into the inside, and punished Diaz with a left hooks to the body that snuck just behind his opponent’s elbow. Diaz (2-6-2) went for broke in the third as he played the role of stalker, but Dadashev weathered his overhand rights rather easily thanks to his lateral movement. The fourth round was highlighted by a left hook to Diaz’s head that forced a small cut on his right eye. Dadashev, 26, proceeded to tire out Diaz with fluid combinations that landed so often, the work kept referee Jack Reiss antsy up until the final bell.
Walk-out bouts

Uruguayan welterweight, Rudy Macedo (3-0, 3 KOs) destroyed Hugo Padilla (4-9, 3 KOs) in two rounds thanks to his speedy combinatuons. No knockdowns were scored in the fight, but  referee Raul Caiz Sr. put an end to the shellacking once he realized Padill was too tough for his own good.

Alberto Fundora (9-0, 5 KOs) punished Tommy Turner (4-7, 3 KOs) by knocking him down twice in the second round, leading up to a stoppage by referee Jack Reiss. Fundora, a super middleweight from Coachella, California, landed a perfect left uppercut that buckled Turner’s knees and bloodied his nose. Seconds later, Turner was back on the mat after an accumulation of big shots from Fundora. As soon as Turner hit the mat a second time, Reiss immediately waved off the bout.

In the final bout of the evening, Oleg Zubenko (3-0) got a split-decision victory over Roberto Yong (1-3-1, 1 KO) – (38-37 Yong, 39-36 Zubenko, 39-36 Zubenko). The fight was as sloppy as it was entertaining. Zubenko found himself on the mat a handful of times because of bad footwork, but he did manage to score a knockdown of Yong in the first round body shot. Yong was hurt multiple times in the contest, and while he himself was lackadaisical in the ring, it produced an interesting watch.