Yuri Foreman ends retirement, looks to return by end of year
Former junior middleweight champion Yuri Foreman is coming out of retirement and will fight before the end of the year, according to promoter Lou DiBella.
DiBella said the quick-footed Foreman (32-2, nine knockouts) approached him around six weeks ago about fighting for the first time since Nov. of 2013.
“Look for a return before the end of the year,” DiBella told RingTV.com on Wednesday. “There’s no reason (not to fight). He’s never taken a lot of punishment. He’s in great shape. Why not? There’s no reason he can’t come back.”
Foreman abruptly pulled out of a fight against Jorge Melendez on the undercard of Sergio Martinez’s bout with Miguel Cotto at Madison Square Garden last year over management issues and promptly announced his retirement.
He had won four straight before the bizarre cancellation.
However, that was not the first time Foreman stepped away from the sport.
He didn’t fight again for two years after he lost two straight to Miguel Cotto and Pawel Wolak in 2010-11 as he dealt with the death of longtime manager Murray Wilson.
Now, he will give the sport another chance.