Stevenson-Karpency set for Sept. 11
What was thought to be a joke last week on social media is now a reality.
RING light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson will fight Tommy Karpency on Sept. 11 at the Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, it was officially announced on Wednesday.
The 12-round bout will headline a Premier Boxing Champions card, which will air on Spike TV.
Stevenson (26-1, 21 knockouts) made the announcement on his verified Twitter account on July 27 that he was fighting Karpency. Fight fans took to social media, blasting Stevenson for facing a fighter with little chance of winning.
Stevenson will also defend his WBC title against Karpency, who is ranked number nine by the governing body.
“I’m excited to announce my next fight on September 11 in Toronto against Tommy Karpency,” said Stevenson. “I’m ready to put the hurt on. I work hard and stay focused.”
In his last bout on April 4, Stevenson won a 12-round unanimous decision over longtime super middleweight contender Sakio Bika.
Including the Bika fight, Stevenson has faced less-than-modest opposition of late. He knocked out overmatched Dmitry Sukhotsky in the fifth round on Dec. 19, a far cry from his June 2013 bout against Chad Dawson, whom he stopped in the first round.
Karpency (25-4-1, 14 KOs) has won his last four bouts in a row. His best win as a pro came on Oct. 4, when he defeated Dawson by split decision over 10 rounds, one of the greater upsets of 2014.
“I beat the same guy Stevenson beat to become world champion,” said Karpency. “I beat [Dawson] just over a year after Stevenson beat him. After that win, I said that the sky was the limit and that I wanted the best in the world. The win [over Dawson] proved that I belong amongst the elite at light heavyweight. Now it is my job to win this fight.”
In the co-feature bout, heavyweight Dillon Carman will fight former heavyweight contender Donovan “Razor” Ruddock, who has won his last two bouts since returning from a 13-and-a-half-year layoff.
Francisco A. Salazar has written for RingTV since Oct. of 2013 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. Francisco also covers boxing for the Ventura County (CA) Star newspaper, Boxingscene.com, and Knockout Nation. He can be reached by email at [email protected] or on Twitter at FSalazarBoxing.