Sunday, January 29, 2023  |

News

Aficianado

Kid Galahad to appeal two-year ban following failed drug test

13
May
alt

Galahad (left) tags Josh Wale with a left hand – Photo by Scott Heavey/Getty images

Unbeaten British junior featherweight Kid Galahad has vowed to clear his name after being handed a two-year ban from boxing following a failed drug test.

The 25-year-old claims his own brother, Mageed, laced a protein drink with the banned substance stanozolol (an anabolic steroid) following a heated argument.

“I was notified three weeks after my last fight that I failed a drugs test,” said Galahad, when interviewed by Sky Sports in the UK. “I didn’t know what was going on until a few weeks later when I found out that a family member had actually spiked me.

“It was a malicious act committed in an argument over money.”



Mageed, who is currently serving a jail term for separate offenses, has admitted liability and signed a sworn affidavit to the UK Anti-Doping Panel but the decision to impose a ban until Sept. 2016 was still upheld.

Galahad said, “I’ve been tested six times in the last year and passed every single test until my last fight. I am devastated. I’m going to appeal it.”

Rated No. 6 by THE RING at 122 pounds, Galahad has already captured British, Commonwealth and European titles. The flashy switch-hitter (18-0, 9 knockouts) was hoping to lure either Carl Frampton or Scott Quigg into a high-profile domestic scrap but those plans will be shelved for the time being.

The positive test followed Galahad’s 12-round, unanimous decision victory over Adeilson Dos Santos in September. The case is due to be reviewed in the coming weeks.

Tom Gray is a member of the British Boxing Writers’ Association and has contributed to various publications. Follow him on Twitter: @Tom_Gray_Boxing

close

SIGN UP TO GET RING NEWS ALERTS