Monday, January 30, 2023  |

News

Aficianado

Mike Tyson assists injured motorcyclist

23
Sep

BOX-CHN-US-TYSON

Mike Tyson is being praised as a hero by injured motorcyclist Ryan Chesley in wake of an accident that occurred on Sept. 16 on a Las Vegas interstate, Chesley’s attorney, Stephen Stubbs told RingTV.com on Monday.

Chesley, 29, was grounded on Interstate 15 in Las Vegas after being cut off by a taxi and knocked off his vehicle, according to a report by the Associated Press.

“My client was riding his motorcycle, and there was a collision. The motorcycle is totaled. So my client was just laying down on the ground, and in shock and dazed. So he’s laying on the ground and Mike Tyson just shows up and is right on top of him asking, ‘Are you okay?'” said Stubbs.



“Mike Tyson was there with three other guys and they all blocked traffic and came up to him and told him not to move and that the ambulance was on its way. People came up to try to move him and Mike Tyson was like, ‘Don’t touch him.’ He was protecting him. My client was in shock and thought he was hallucinating. When the ambulance got there, Mike Tyson just disappeared. He had done his good deed and was on his way.”

Stubbs said Chesley snapped a cellphone picture of Tyson, who vanished from the scene “like some kind of superhero” when paramedics arrived, according to the AP.

Stubbs said he contacted Tyson’s assistant, Steve Lott, in order to thank the former undisputed heavyweight champion.

“We told him how grateful we were to Mike Tyson. We asked if we could send him a ‘Thank you’ note and [Lott] gave us the address to drop it off,” said Stubbs. “So we put together a giant fruit basket along with a hand-written ‘Thank you’ note and they responded. They said, ‘Thank you,’ and wished him a speedy recovery.”

Although he has been released from the hospital, Chesley suffered torn ligaments, broken bones and will require surgery on his left shoulder.

 

ANTHONY DIRRELL NOT ‘WORRIED ABOUT’ GEORGE GROVES ‘RIGHT NOW’

Mandatory challenger George Groves “won’t get his shot until I want him to get his shot” said WBC super middleweight beltholder Anthony Dirrell during an interview with RingTV.com on Monday.

Groves (20-2, 15 knockouts), 26, became the top contender challenger for the belt worn by Dirrell (27-0-1, 22 KOs) with a unanimous decision victory over Christopher Rebrasse in Saturday’s WBC eliminator in London.

In victory over Rebrasse, Groves rebounded from back-to-back stoppage losses in the ninth and eighth rounds to IBF titleholder Carl Froch in his previous two fights in November and May, respectively.

Groves has been angling for an opportunity to face Dirrell, who said he won’t give the Englishman a shot until he’s good and ready.

“He’s going to get his shot but not until I want him to get his shot, so I really don’t have anything to say about him – not right now,” said Dirrell, 29. “I’m just going to do what’s best for me. I’m going to go to my team and we’ll figure out something. But I’m not even worried about him right now.”

Dirrell dethroned Sakio Bika as WBC titleholder by unanimous decision in last month’s rematch of their December draw. Bika was dropped in the fifth round and penalized for fouling in their first fight.

Dirrell does have some time to ponder Groves, according to WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman.

“Dirrell has one voluntary defense, and after such voluntary, the winner is committed to doing the mandatory,” said Sulaiman. “We have not yet been in communication with Anthony Dirrell but he does have the one voluntary and then, if he wins that, then the mandatory.”

Groves’ most recent win was impressive given that Rebrasse (22-3-3, 6 KOs) had gone 6-0-2 with two knockouts in his previous eight bouts. Rebrasse, 28, had not lost since March 2011 via unanimous decision to unbeaten Rachid Jkitou of France and was coming off a fourth round stoppage of Mouhamed Ali Ndiaye in March.

“When you hear the word ‘mandatory,’ sure, that’s what it says,” said Dirrell. “But he won’t get his shot until I want him to get his shot.”

 

ROD SALKA TO FACE MONTY MEZA CLAY ON NOV. 14

Rod Salka (19-4, 3 KOs) will return to action as a lightweight on Nov. 14 against Monty Meza Clay (36-3, 22 KOs) at the CONSOL Energy Center in Pittsburgh in an attempt to rebound from last month’s second round knockout loss to RING junior welterweight champion Danny Garcia in their 142-pound bout.

“I gotta make a statement in this fight and I’m definitely going to do that,” said Salka, 31, who is promoted by Golden Boy. “I gotta show why my last fight was just a bad day and I need to be back on top in championship boxing at 130 or 135.”

Prior to facing Garcia, Salka dropped previously unbeaten Alexei Collado in the third round en route to an upset unanimous decision victory in April.

Meza Clay, 33, is riding an eight-bout winning streak that includes two knockouts and is coming off last month’s 10th round stoppage victory over Alan Herrera.

 

Photo by STR/AFP/Getty Images

close

SIGN UP TO GET RING NEWS ALERTS