Floyd Mayweather Jr. hints at shakeup in Mayweather Promotions
Floyd Mayweather Jr. implied that he could have “a totally new team” for his next fight in May during a recent interview following his unanimous decision over Marcos Maidana this past Saturday.
Among the changes the 37-year-old unbeaten fighter hinted at was that longtime friend and Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe’s job could be in jeopardy.
“Leonard, I think we’re just getting to a point where we’re outgrowing each other. I think I just see things my way and I think he sees things in another way,” Mayweather said during an interview with FightHype.com.
“Leonard wasn’t in my corner, so, you know, it’s not any hard feelings. It’s just people outgrow one another. I’m not mad at him. There’s no hard feeling like I hate the guy; not at all. No hard feelings whatsoever. People just outgrow one another, just like when people get a divorce. They’re no longer on the same page mentally.”
Mayweather assured, however, that he would continue to work with powerful advisor Al Haymon.
“Once people start making power moves without communicating with me, then I think it’s time for us to move our separate ways. I mean, I’m glad the fight is over with,” Mayweather said of his return bout with Maidana, “but I think when May comes around and you guys see All Access in May, I’ll have a totally new team and probably a totally new staff. We may make a lot of changes in my team, but Al Haymon ain’t going nowhere.”
ORLANDO SALIDO TARGETS ‘NEW CHAPTER IN MY CAREER’
As he watched two-division titleholder Juan Manuel Lopez second-round stoppage loss to featherweight Jesus Cuellar on Sept. 11, three-time beltwinner Orlando Salido could not help but fathom his contribution to Lopez’s demise.
The setback was the fifth in nine fights for Lopez, 31, who was knocked out in all of his losses. It was Salido who handed Lopez the first and second defeats of his career, dethroning the Puerto Rican southpaw by as WBO featherweight titleholder by eighth-round knockout in in April 2011, and stopping Lopez in the 10th round in March 2012.
“Without a doubt, our two fights were full of action, and they were two wars together. We both hit each other a lot. Those fights were devastating to both of us, physically. But I think that I was mentally stronger to be able to able to get beyond those fights,” said Salido, who turns 34 in November, of Lopez, who announced his retirement after falling to Cuellar.
“I don’t think that he was ever the same, mentally, after those fights. I think that all of his confidence was gone. Maybe not his abilities, but all of his confidence was gone after those two fights. As a fellow fighter, you don’t like to see a fellow fighter get beat up and knocked out like he did in his last fight. He was a great champion once, and there is no longer any reason for him to be in the ring and to get beat up like that. I think that I would recommend that he retire.”
Salido (41-12-2, 28 KOs) will be after his third straight victory when he meets Terdsak Kokietgym (53-4-1, 33 KOs) for the WBO’s interim belt in his junior lightweight debut on Saturday at Auditorio Municipal Fausto Guti├®rrez Moreno in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico.
Last October, Salido won a featherweight belt for the third time with a seventh-round stoppage over Orlando Cruz, a triumph that earned the vacant 126-pound belt.
In his last fight in March, Salido scored a split-decision over Vasyl Lomachenko, but had already lost his WBO title on the scales due to being overweight for the fight.
Salido, who turns 34 in November, said that when it comes time for him to leave the game, he will know it.
“I wouldn’t say that there is a certain amount of time left in my career, but it’s more just as long as I continue to feel good, and as long as I can continue to compete, and as long as I can face the top fighters in the division and keep on winning, then I will keep on going,” said Salido.
“I’ve continued to gain more experience as I’ve gone along, and the wars have not been as bad as maybe they used to be for me. So I don’t know. I’m just going keep on going for as long as I can go. I’m going to know when it is time in the ring. The moment that I get hit more and hurt more in the ring, and the moment that I feel that I can no longer compete, then that’s when I will know that it’s time to go.”
In the meantime, Salido is focused on Kokietgym, a 33-year-old winner of seven straight since falling by unanimous decision to Takahiro Ao in April 2012.
“I think that I did a lot at 126 pounds, but I just look at this as new chapter in my career. I fought so many good guys at 126,” said Salido. “But I think that at 130, I can do the same thing. I would love to fight some of the best guys around at 130, and to win another title at 130.”
Notes: Salido interview translated by Top Rank’s Ricardo Jiminez
JOSEPH DIAZ ADDED TO ANTONIO TARVER-JOHNATHON BANKSCARD
Featherweight Joseph “Jo Jo” Diaz Jr., a 2012 U.S. Olympian, will return to the ring against Mexico’s Raul Hidalgo on the Sept. 29 undercard of a main event between heavyweights Antonio Tarver and Johnathon Banks on FOX Sports 1 and FOX Deportes’ Golden Boy Live! from The State Farm Arena in Hidalgo, Tex., Golden Boy has announced.
Diaz is 11-0 with 7 knockouts, and Hildalgo, 22-11 with 16 stoppage victories.
SULLIVAN BARRERA TO FACE ERIC WATKINS ON THABISO MCHUNU-GARRETT WILSON CARD
Light heavyweight Sullivan Barrera (12-0, 7 KOs) will fight Eric Watkins (10-7-1, 5 KOs) on the undercard of Saturday’s cruiserweight main event featuring Thabiso Mchunu against Garrett Wilson on NBC Sports Network’s “Fight Night” at the Foxwoods Resort in Mashantucket, Conn., Main Events announced on Wednesday.
In the co-feature, lightweight Karl Dargan (16-0, 8 KOs) will take on Angino Perez (16-5, 14 KOs).
JUNIOR MIDDLEWEIGHTS FRANK GALARZA, ALANTEZ FOX FEATURED IN SEPARATE BOUTS.
Junior middleweights Frank Galarza and Alantez Fox battled to an eight-round draw in Sept. 2012.
But on Saturday at The Resorts World Casino, Queens, N.Y., Galaraza (14-0-2, 9 KOs) and Fox (12-0-1, 4 KOs) will be competing in separate bouts.
Galarza will face Jhonathan Batista 14-3-0 (7KO’s), and Fox is being matched against an opponent to be determined as part of an nine-fight card being co-promoted by New Legend Boxing and DiBella Entertainment.
JAVIER PRIETO-IVAN CANO II SLATED FOR SEPT. 27
Lightweight Javier Prieto (24-7-1, 18 KOs) will face Ivan Cano (22-6-1, 15 KOs) in a Sept. 27 at The Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico in a rematch of their draw in their last fight in May, Golden Boy announced on Wednesday.
Prieto is 8-0-1 with seven stoppages in his past nine fights since falling by split-decision to Robert Ortiz in April 2012, and Cano stopped Salvador Carreon in the third round in November before having faced Prieto.
The co-main event will match female junior middleweights Zulina Munoz (42-1-2, 27 KOs) and Karina Hernandez (5-0-3, 1 KO).
DUSTY HERNANDEZ-HARRISON INJURED, SEPT. 27 BOUT POSTPONED
An ankle injury has forced welterweight Dusty Hernandez-Harrison (23-0, 12 KOs) to cancel his Sept. 27 bout against Hector Munoz (23-13-1, 15 KOs) slated for the Constitution Hall in Hernandez-Harrison’s native Washington, D.C., according to a release.
In his most recent fight in July, Hernandez-Harrison, 20, unanimously decisioned Wilfredo Acuna in the main arena at New York’s Madison Square Garden in support of WBA middleweight titleholder Gennady Golovkin’s third round stoppage over ex-beltholder Daniel Geale.
GRADY BREWER RETURNS
Okalahoma-based junior middleweight Grady Brewer (31-19, 16 KOs) will face Said Ouali (29-4, 21 KOs) of Las Vegas on Sept. 27 at the OKC Downtown Airpark in Oklahoma City, according to a release.