Lem’s latest: Garcia not afraid of Matthysse
During last week’s national conference call announcing Danny Garcia vs. Lucas Matthysse as the co-feature to Mayweather-Alvarez on Sept. 14, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer referenced “All of these people who wrote that Danny was scared of Lucas.”
A few days after the call, Angel Garcia, the father and trainer of Danny Garcia, addressed the notion of his son’s supposed fear of Matthysse.
“We were never afraid to fight. The champion of the world ain’t afraid of nobody. Now, I don’t know where people came up with that idea, because that was never ever talked about,” said Angel Garcia, during part of an extended interview with RingTV.com.
“When [advisor] Al Haymon came to us about it, we were like, ‘Let’s do it.’ The best need to fight the best, and we’re the best in the world, so why would we run from him? We don’t run from nobody. He should be running from us. He’s calling us because he wants a pay day, but he’s nobody in my book. The champ of the world don’t run from nobody, and he’s not the champ. We’re the champ. So he’s nobody to be intimidated by.”
THOMAS DULORME FACES FRANCISCO FIGUEROA
Puerto Rican junior welterweight prospect Thomas Dulorme (18-1, 13 KOs) will pursue his third-straight victory and his second stoppage during that run against Francisco “El Gato” Figueroa (20-5-1, 13 KO’s)., from The Bronx, New York, on Aug. 17 from the Revel Resort in Atlantic City, N.J.
“Dulorme is on a mission to get back into title contention and I’m very excited about his future,” said Promoter Lou DiBella. “I know Thomas will be more explosive at junior welterweight. Figueroa will be a stiff test, one I believe Dulorme will shine in.”
Dulorme, 23, will meet Figueroa, 35, on the undercard of a main event featuring IBF middleweight titleholder Daniel Geale (29-1, 15 knockouts) in his U.S. debut against British contender Darren Barker (25-1, 16 KOs) in an HBO Boxing After Dark main event that is being promoted by Gary Shaw Productions.
Dulorme, whose bout will be televised on HBO Latino, suffered his lone defeat in October of last year as a welterweight, when he fell by seventh-round stoppage to slugger Luis Carlos Abregu.
“Figueroa is a fighter that always trains hard and comes to fight, and I must be well prepared to deal with him,” said Dulorme. “I feel very strong and faster at the junior welterweight division, and I will prove it on August 17 on HBO Latino.”
Also on the card is a co-feature to be shown on HBO as Colombia’s Jhonathan Romero (23-0, 12 KOs) defends his IBF junior featherweight belt against Spain’s Kiko Martinez (28-4, 20 KOs).
YURI FOREMAN RETURNS ON WEDNESDAY
Former WBA middleweight titeholder Yuri Foreman will pursue his third-straight victory on Wednesday night against Jamaal Davis at The Roseland Ballroom in New York.
The 32-year-old Foreman (20-2, 8 KOs) had lost his previous two fights by knockout to Miguel Cotto and Pawel Wolak in June of 2010 and March of 2011, respectively, before returning to the ring with a six-round unanimous decision over Brandon Baue in January.
In April, Foreman unanimously decisioned Gundrick King over six rounds at Rosland Ballroom, where the Brooklyn resident will face Davis (14-9-1, 6 KOs), of Philadelphia, who is coming off a unanimous-decision loss to Patrick Majewski in February.
Photo by Dwight McCann, Fightwireimages.com
Lem Satterfield can be reached at [email protected]