Banner Promotions’ President Artie Pelullo, who guides newly crowned WBO junior welterweight titleholder Ruslan Provodnikov, would like “The Siberian Rocky’s” next fight to be a rematch with WBO welterweight beltholder Tim Bradley or else a matchup with the winner of next month’s 147-pound bout between Manny Pacquiao and Brandon Rios.
In victory, Provodnikov, 29, rebounded from a unanimous decision loss in his 147-pound debut in March against Bradley (31-0, 12 KOs), who rose from a 12th-round knockdown during the first defense of the belt the won by disputed split decision over Manny Pacquiao in June of 2012.
On Oct. 12, Bradley made his second defense by split-decision over Juan Manuel Marquez, who was coming off a sixth-round knockout of Pacquiao last December. Pelullo also said Marquez could be an option for Provodnikov.
Although Pacquiao and Provodnikov are each trained by Freddie Roach, Roach was not in Provodnikov’s corner because he is currently in General Santos City Philippines preparing Pacquiao for Rios on Nov. 24 in Macau.
“If Ruslan went up in weight, he wouldn’t lose his title. He would just have to pay a sanctioning fee that would let him take a fight above the weight and that’s how you do that. That’s what it’s all about.”
Alvarado had last been in the ring in March, out-boxing Bradley’s managerial stablemate, Rios, to win the rematch of a seventh-round TKO loss from October of last year.
PETER QUILLIN: ‘I’VE GOT MORE KNOCKOUTS IN THE STREET THAN I’VE GOT IN THE RING’
Not long after he began boxing at the age of 15 in his native Grand Rapids, Mich., Peter Quillin said “I just know that I became more of that guy on the street not to mess with.”
“I had resorted to the streets for a lot of different things,” Quillin, now a 30-year-old WBO middleweight titleholder nicknamed “Kid Chocolate, said during a Showtime-produced feature called “I am a Fighter”, “I just know that I’ve got more knockouts in the street than I’ve got in the ring.”
On Oct. 26 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, Quillin (29-0, 21 knockouts) will put his belt on the line against Philadelphia’s Gabriel Rosado (21-6, 13 KOs) on the undercard of Bernard Hopkins’ IBF light heavyweight title defense against Karo Murat on Showtime.
In his past two performances at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, Quillin dropped Hassan N’Dam six times on his way to a unanimous decision for the WBO belt last October, and he scored four more knockdowns during a seventh-round stoppage of Fernando Guerrero in his first defense of that title in April.
In June of last year, Quillin dropped former titleholder Winky Wright in the fifth round of an eventual unanimous decision victory.
Quillin said that he moved to New York at the age of 18.
A 25-year-old Chicago resident whose winning streak includes a unanimous decision over former titleholder Glen Johnson last July, as well as a ninth-round knockout of former beltholder Gabriel Campillo in his last fight in August, Fonfara returns on the undercard of a main event featuring WBC cruiserweight beltholder Krzysztof Wlodarczyk (48-2-1, 34 KOs) of Poland and ex-titleholder Giacobbe Fragomeni (31-3-2, 12 KOs) of Italy.
“I am with Dominic Pesoli and 8 Count Productions. I have always been with 8 Count Productions and I will continue with them for the foreseeable future,” said Fonfara, nicknamed “The Polish Prince,” in a prepared release. “I have enjoyed an excellent working relationship with my team, including Dominic Pesoli as my promoter, and that is who will stay as we make our final push to the world championship.”
A 32-year-old from Warsaw, Poland, Wlodarczyk is 11-0-1 with seven stoppage wins since being dethroned as IBF titleholder by Steve Cunningham in May of 2007. Wlodardzyk had battled to a draw with Fragomeni a year before defeating him for the title, which Fragomeni himself had held and then lost to Zsolt Erdei.
Fragomeni, 44, has gone 5-0-1, with two knockouts, since his last meeting with Wlodarczyk.