Kirkland signs contract to face Cotto Feb. 25 on HBO PPV
James Kirkland signed his contract on Tuesday to face Miguel Cotto on Feb. 25 on HBO PPV, concluding a deal that will put the fight at the Dallas Cowboys training facility at the Ford Center at The Star in Frisco, Texas at a catch-weight of 153 pounds, Kirkland’s attorney, Mike Miller told RingTV.com on Tuesday.
While Cotto advisor Bryan Perez announced a deal in place last week, Kirkland’s side was still haggling over some final details and didn’t formally sign the contract until Tuesday, Miller said in a series of text messages. It will be Kirkland’s third highest purse of his career after his fights with Canelo Alvarez ($1.3 million) and Alfredo Angulo, according to Miller, who declined to give the purse amount, citing a confidentiality agreement. It’s Miller’s understanding that Cotto has already signed his contract for the bout.
Cotto (40-5, 33 knockouts) plans to start training camp in January, again under Freddie Roach, Perez said. Cotto, a former four-division champion, hasn’t fought since losing a decision to Canelo Alvarez in November of 2015; Cotto and Kirkland, 32, started talking in March about a possible fight for June 18 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn but the fight never materialized. Kirkland (32-2, 28 KOs) hasn’t fought since he was stopped in three exciting rounds, also against Alvarez in May of 2015.
Kirkland, a southpaw, will be reunited with trainer Ann Wolfe for the bout with Cotto, according to Miller, who wasn’t sure about the price tag for the PPV. The bout against Kirkland is the final under Cotto’s agreement with promoter Roc Nation Sports. Because Cotto is due a minimum of $10 million-per fight with Roc Nation, the bout with Kirkland had to be put on HBO PPV.