Shawn Porter has a date but no opponent, says dad
Shawn Porter has a date to return in the first quarter of 2017 as a headliner, his father and trainer, Kenny Porter told RingTV.com on Wednesday.
But he still doesn’t have an opponent after Kenny says both Andre Berto and Lamont Peterson broke off talks to face his son in what could have been intriguing match-ups of former titleholders trying to stand out in the loaded welterweight division. A source close to Peterson claims no discussions ever took place for a Porter-Peterson match-up while a spokesperson for Berto didn’t immediately return a message for comment. Porter wouldn’t divulge the date for his son’s return, saying he’s been told to keep it under wraps. He did, however, discuss a couple names he says were contacted to face his son.
“It was brought to my attention that a few fighters have been approached about fighting Shawn but at this time, none of them are willing to take that fight for whatever the reasons are,” Kenny said in a phone interview, speaking of PBC officials who have spoken to Berto and Peterson. All three fighters, Porter, Berto and Peterson are advised by Al Haymon.
“It seems to be hard for us to get a fight at this time,” Kenny went on. “We’re really looking at taking on another top fighter like an Andre Berto or a Lamont Peterson. But it appears at this time those guys aren’t interested in fighting Shawn.” He added, “We were looking forward to making an announcement as early as this week. It’s been brought to my attention that neither guy wants the fight.”
Porter (26-2-1, 16 knockouts) hasn’t fought since he lost a close decision to WBA welterweight titleholder Keith Thurman on June 25 at Barclays Center. In a perfect world, Kenny would like for his son, a former titleholder, to fight in early 2017 and then face the winner of Thurman-Danny Garcia. The two will meet in a welterweight unification match on March 4, possibly at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Kenny expects Shawn to be part of the commentary team for Thurman-Garcia, he said.
Berto (31-4, 24 KOs) knocked out Victor Ortiz on April 30 in the fourth round and hasn’t fought since. He was rumored to be in the running to face Garcia earlier this month before Garcia took on a softer touch in Samuel Vargas. Peterson (34-3-1, 17 KOs) hasn’t fought at all in 2016, though his name has surfaced in discussions as a potential candidate for Miguel Cotto, and now Porter.
In the meantime, Kenny is in the process of researching possible opponents for the first quarter of 2017 as his son remains in the gym, ready to face whomever. “We’d love to have a Pacquiao fight but it’s not going to happen,” Kenny said. “We’d love to have a fight with Tim Bradley. Thurman and Garcia are fighting so the top four guys are already gone. So we’re going to have to be creative.”