Luis Ortiz to return on Dec. 10 on Joshua card
Nearly a month after he breezed through Malik Scott, heavyweight Luis Oritz is set to return on Dec. 10 against Britain’s Dave Allen in another stay-busy fight on the undercard of Anthony Joshua-Eric Molina at Manchester Arena in Manchester, England, Matchroom Boxing announced on Wednesday.
Ortiz, in his first fight since signing with Eddie Hearn last month, shook off some rust against Scott on Nov. 12 in Monte Carlo with a wide decision win, though he wasn’t impressive against an opponent who was trying to survive. Now Ortiz, who was recently stripped of a secondary WBA title for refusing to take on his mandatory, faces Allen, who went the distance against Dillian Whyte in a losing effort on July 30.
“I’m so excited to be boxing in the UK and it’s great to be keeping busy,” Ortiz said in a press release. “Monaco was a great experience for me and although the fight didn’t play out like I hoped I felt I learned a lot. We looked at opponents for December 10 and we wanted someone who will come to fight for the fans. Dave Allen called the fight on and he’s got his wish. It’s great to be taking on a Brit in his backyard and I’m confident you will see the real Luis Ortiz in Manchester.”
Allen (9-1-1, 6 knockouts) wasn’t impressed with the 37-year-old Ortiz (26-0, 22 KOs) against Scott and is confident of an upset. “The day Eddie Hearn signed Luis Ortiz, I messaged him and said ‘I will fight him, stick me in with him!’” said Allen in a prepared statement. “I didn’t hold any fear of fighting him even before the Malik Scott fight. But that fight showed that the hype isn’t real. Ortiz isn’t Superman — I think he’s on the slide even though he’s undefeated.”