Floyd says not to read into attending Pacquiao fight
Floyd Mayweather Jr. downplayed his attending Manny Pacquiao’s welterweight title-winning effort against Jessie Vargas on Nov. 5 in Las Vegas. His ringside seat sparked speculation he was scouting Pacquiao for a potential rematch of their lucrative 2015 bout. But Mayweather, 39, said that wasn’t the case.
“It was just a daddy-daughter day,” Mayweather said on Wednesday at a press conference in Brooklyn to promote his fighter, Badou Jack’s super middleweight unification match with James DeGale on Jan. 14 at Barclays Center. “I took my daughter out. We had fun. And we enjoyed ourselves.”
Pacquiao is eagerly pursuing a rematch and his promoter, Bob Arum, also remains hopeful, saying earlier this month he believes there’s a “75 percent” chance it will happen. “Totally false,” Mayweather said of Arum’s words. “If you don’t hear it from my mouth, it’s not true.” Arum told RingTV.com on Tuesday that he has yet to speak to Mayweather’s powerful advisor, Al Haymon about the chance of a rematch.
The first fight, won handily by Mayweather, broke every box office record in boxing. While Pacquiao went back on his decision to retire after a win against Timothy Bradley in April, Mayweather has so far been true to his word, not fighting since he easily beat Andre Berto in September of 2015. But Mayweather’s attendance on Nov. 5 sparked more rumors of his return, and the sight of him and Pacquiao acknowledging each other before and after the fight added more fuel to the fire.
Struggling to locate a copy of RING magazine? Try here or…
You can subscribe to the print and digital editions of RING magazine by clicking the banner or here. You can also order the current issue, which is on newsstands, or back issues from our subscribe page. On the cover this month: Double Olympic gold medalist Claressa Shields. The U.K. Issue featuring cover star Carl Frampton is available now.