Wilder comeback targeted for spring
Heavyweight titleholder Deontay Wilder has made considerable headway in his recovery from a devastating right-arm injury and should return to training without restriction by the start of 2017 with a fight in the spring, Showtime Sports VP and General Manager Stephen Espinoza told RingTV.com.
Wilder (37-0, 36 knockouts) shattered his right biceps and hand in his eighth-round stoppage of Chris Arreola on July 16, requiring separate surgeries. He has returned to the gym and posted workout videos of himself hitting the mitts with his left hand only. “We spent some time with Deontay in Alabama last week,” Espinoza said in a phone interview. “I think he’ll be back in camp full time as of the New Year and probably in the spring we’ll see him back in the ring.”
Espinoza envisions a busy 2017 for Wilder, who likes to keep a harried scheduled. The former Olympic bronze medalist fought twice this year before the injury, three times in 2015 and even had a six-fight calendar in 2012. Espinoza once spoke of Wilder, 31, possibly taking on IBF titleholder Anthony Joshua in late 2017 in a big unification match before Wilder was sidelined with the injury.
“We’d love to have him back on Showtime multiple times in 2017,” Espinoza said. “From everything I’ve heard so far, the recovery is going well and he’s on track to go back into full camp without any restrictions after the New Year.”