Luis Ortiz-Malik Scott set for Nov. 12 in Monaco
Cuban heavyweight Luis Ortiz will make his European debut on Nov. 12 when he takes on Malik Scott in a 12-round heavyweight contest at the Salle des Etoiles, Sporting Monte-Carlo, in his what will be his first professional assignment for U.K. outfit Matchroom Boxing.
Ortiz, who is rated No. 4 by THE RING at heavyweight, is coming off an impressive sixth-round knockout of former world title challenger Tony Thompson in March. He is unbeaten in 25 contests, scoring 22 of those wins inside the distance.
Scott has been inactive in 2016 but also scored a victory over Thompson, when he claimed a 10-round unanimous decision over the American veteran in October.
A stacked card will see Jamie McDonnell, who is rated No. 1 by THE RING at bantamweight, behind champion Shinsuke Yamanaka, take on Liberio Solis. The volume-punching Englishman is looking to build on a pair of impressive wins over Tomoki Kameda last year and a ninth-round stoppage over Fernando Vargas in April.
Solis, a former unified junior bantamweight titleholder, once again attempts to become a two-weight world champion, having severely tested WBC 118-pound belt holder Yamanaka in March. Both men hit the canvas in that bout before the champion outpointed the gutsy Venezuelan.
British junior lightweight contender Stephen Smith will take on New Jersey’s Jason Sosa over 12 rounds. In April, Smith dropped a unanimous decision to IBF titleholder Jose Pedraza in his first world title bout but bounced back six weeks later to stop Daniel Brizuela in seven.
There’s also a rematch between former two-weight world titleholder Arthur Abraham and Martin Murray. Abraham, then the WBO super middleweight titleholder, defeated Murray by 12-round split decision in November but has since lost that belt to the unbeaten Gilberto Ramirez.
In June, Murry lost a unanimous decision to countryman George Groves, so this is a crossroads bout for both.
“It is an absolute honor to bring this huge night of boxing to Monaco,” said promoter Eddie Hearn. “It’s been a wonderful few years for British boxing but to showcase this great sport in such a high quality environment is very exciting. This is going to be the most high-profile fight night of the year and we are looking forward to putting on an exceptional night of boxing for Monte-Carlo, fans and all of our international broadcasters.
“We are thrilled to host this new world class boxing event and to perpetuate the tradition of boxing in Monaco which had now become a major rendezvous for the Casino de Monte-Carlo” said Pascal Camia, Executive Vice President, Casinos of Monaco. “From the gambling tables to the ring, the adrenaline will be flowing for a night of show and entertainment to be remembered.”
Information provided courtesy of a press release issued by Matchroom Boxing
Tom Gray is a UK Correspondent/ Editor for RingTV.com and a member of THE RING ratings panel. Follow him on Twitter: @Tom_Gray_Boxing
Struggling to locate a copy of RING magazine? Try here or…
You can subscribe to the print and digital editions of RING magazine by clicking the banner or here. You can also order the current issue, which is on newsstands, or back issues from our subscribe page. On the cover this month: Sugar Ray Leonard