Naoya Inoue: 12 facts you might not know
Here are 12 things you may not know about Japanese phenom Naoya Inoue, who makes the third defense of his WBO 115-pound title on Sunday.
The 23-year-old two-division beltholder faces Petchbarngborn Kokietgym (alias Karoon Jarupianlerd) at Sky Arena, Zama, Kanagawa, Japan.
The wunderkind first sprang to people’s attention when he won the WBC 108-pound strap in just his sixth pro outing. After one successful defense, Inoue (10-0, 8 knockouts) made the bold move to skip the flyweight division and face Omar Narvaez, the consensus No. 1-rated 115-pounder in the world, emphatically beating the long-reigning Argentinean champion in two brisk rounds.
A career-threatening injury meant Inoue was on the sidelines for a year. Since returning, he has made two successful defenses.
Here are 12 things you may not know him (in his words):
1. When I was in Kindergarten, I played soccer.
2. Last December, I got married. (My spouse and I) had been together since high school. I hope to have three children; however, I don’t know whether I will let them box.
3. I do not have any certain religion as many Japanese people do.
4. I drive a Toyota Crown.
5. I love watching movies of any genre. My favorite is Disney’s “Aladdin.”
6. I love any Disneyland parks and their attractions. My favorite ride is “Space Mountain.”
7. I sincerely thank and respect my parents for helping me prepare and take up boxing.
8. I loved playing outdoors when I was a child, especially playing with friends from my school.
9. I have no detailed idea on my life after I retire from boxing.
10. I always listen to music, especially Japanese pop music.
11. I love eating Yakiniku, Korean barbecue.
12. My goal in boxing is to win many world championships in different weight classes and keep them as long as possible.