Deontay Wilder needs third procedure on right hand, likely out 2016
Deontay Wilder will need a third previously unknown procedure on his right hand to remove pins that will likely sideline him for the rest of 2016, Wilder told RingTV.com on Wednesday.
The heavyweight titleholder has had three procedures since he shattered his right hand and right biceps in his eighth-round stoppage of Chris Arreola on July 16, two on his right hand and one on his biceps. Wilder said in a phone interview that his hand will require one more surgery to remove pins that were inserted in his hand after the fight and that he said are still protruding from his hand. Wilder has been told the feeling of having the metal pins removed is the equivalent of having a tooth pulled.
“They’re going to go back in and take (the pins) back out,” Wilder said in a phone interview. “They replaced what I had in there (after the fight) to secure my bones so it can grow properly and it’s straight like it’s supposed to and then they’re going to go back in and take (the pins) out. I’ll be alright. This last procedure is not going to be too serious.”
Wilder (37-0, 36 knockouts) said the third procedure will come in the course of his rehab over the next six months. Wilder did serious damage to his right hand, dislocating two of his fingers and tearing his other two fingers “in three different places,” he said. “I’m known to recover fast and I’m going through my rehab and doing everything I’m supposed to do,” he went on. “They’re giving me about six months and I’m going to take my time to recover.”
Wilder, 30, doesn’t plan on holding back on his power in future fights. But he does intend to adjust the types of gloves he wears, from the Everlast MX to the Everlast Powerlock brand that has a layered foam construction to give his hands a tighter, more secure fit. “They said I should heal up 100%,” Wilder said. “And once I heal I’m going to be better than I’ve ever been.”