Arum hopes to finalize deal for Pacquiao’s return in trip to Manila
Bob Arum hopes to finalize a deal for Manny Pacquiao’s Nov. 5 return when he travels to Manila on Sunday to meet with the politician/boxer, Arum told RingTV.com on Tuesday.
Arum has taken to Twitter to announce his plans in an apparent media boycott, but he outlined the point of his trip to the Philippines in a 51-second interview. Arum said he wasn’t just going there to find out Pacquiao’s preference for an opponent — he hopes to “finalize the deal” for his fall return. Arum begged off any more questions on the trip, but said he may give a full report when he returns.
“I may discuss it when I get back,” he said. The bout is targeted for the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas and the choice of opponents has been whittled down to unified junior welterweight champion Terence Crawford and welterweight titleholder Jessie Vargas.
“So far, they are still the candidates [Crawford and Vargas) to fight Manny,” Arum recently told The Manila Times . “It’s going to be an absolute blockbuster fight either of the two. Everybody is excited to see Manny return. His last fight against Timothy Bradley (in April) was great.”
Arum has been mostly mum with the media since Crawford coasted to a decision win against Viktor Postol on July 23, upset with the negative press the fight received for being on HBO PPV. He has taken to Twitter to make any announcements and to give his political support to Hillary Clinton.
Five days after Crawford-Postol, Arum Tweeted that he was “Discussing Nov fight with @MannyPacquiaoTR tonight. Hope to have an announcement shortly.” Then, on Monday he revealed his travel plans to Manila. “Leaving for Manila next week to meet with @MannyPacquiaoTR to discuss plans for his November 5th bout.” The world awaits…his next tweet.