Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez has no interest in an Estrada rematch
The greatness of Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez’s makes it difficult to find worthy opponents.
One such foe who poses a risk to the Pound-for-Pound king Gonzalez (45-0, 38 knockouts) is Juan Francisco Estrada, who lost a competitive decision to Gonzalez in September of 2013. While fans and even HBO have clamored for a rematch, Gonzalez said he has no desire to face the current WBA/WBO flyweight champion again because of vexing negotiations in the past to make a rematch that have soured him on Estrada.
“I really don’t have any interest in that fight with Estrada,” Gonzalez told RingTV.com on Monday through manager/translator Carlos Blandon, who explained Gonzalez’s line of thinking. “It’s already been three times that we’ve tried to negotiate a fight (with Estrada),” Blandon said. “The last two times they’ve told us (a number of excuses) so we feel that they are once again just evading the fight. What we’ve perceived in the last year or so is that they are really evasive about fighting us.”
Gonzalez is moving up to 115 pounds to try to win a title in a forth division when he faces undefeated junior bantamweight titleholder Carlos Cuadras (35-0-1, 27 KOs) on Sept. 10 at The Forum in Inglewood, California on HBO.
Gonzalez is willing to go back down to 112 pounds for the right fight in the future, but he’s also interested in winning titles at 115 pounds, so he’s just looking for the right opportunity, Blandon said, and at the moment, that doesn’t seem to include Estrada (33-2, 24 KOs).