Roman Gonzalez: 12 facts you might not know
On Saturday, Roman Gonzalez returns to HBO for the second time when he looks to defend his RING and WBC flyweight titles against Brian Viloria. The bout takes place as chief support to Gennady Golovkin-David Lemieux on HBO Pay-Per-View (9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT).
In his last fight on May 16, Gonzalez (43-0, 37 knockouts) impressively demolished former WBC 108-pound titlist Edgar Sosa in two brisk rounds.
Following Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s recent retirement, “Chocolatito” has, in many fans’ eyes, taken over the mantle as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.
Here are 12 things you may not know about the 28-year-old, three-division champion.
1. Before boxing, Gonzalez loved soccer. It was the first sport he practiced in his neighborhood.
2. He hopes his son Roman Gonzalez Do├▒a follows in his footsteps and one day becomes a boxer. Gonzalez wishes to train him if this becomes a reality.
3. He is deeply religious and only fears God.
4. Gonzalez’s favorite pair of sneakers are Air Jordans. He collects them and currently owns 11 pairs.
5. He enjoys reading about aliens.
6. Gonzalez has a passion for rollercoasters. When he was in Six Flags in Mexico, he rode his favorite coaster, “Superman: Ultimate Flight.”
7. He drinks his coffee with six tablespoons of raw sugar.
8. He considers his mom the most important person in the world.
9. Gonzalez would like to be a Christian pastor after he retires from boxing.
10. He likes to memorize the lyrics to all the songs he likes. His favorite song is “Himno De Victoria” by Danny Berrios.
11. His favorite meal is Nicaraguan soul food – home cooked. His favorite meal is carne asada (grilled beef) with plantain chips.
12. Gonzalez never forgets how tough his past was and the financial struggle he and his family had to deal with. He wasn’t able to dress like other kids his age because his family was so poor. Gonzalez had to sell pesticides door-to-door with his father.