Demetrius Andrade to return on Oct. 17
After disappearing from the junior middleweight landscape and being stripped of his title belt in the process, Demetrius Andrade has decided to finally return to the ring.
Andrade returns to action on Oct. 17, when he fights Dario Fabian Fucheta at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Conn.; it was announced today.
The 10-round bout will be the first for Andrade (21-0, 14 knockouts) since June 14 of last year, when he stopped Brian Rose in the seventh round.
Andrade, who will be fighting near his hometown of Providence, R.I., is satisfied he has finally secured a fight date.
“It’s about time I get back in the ring,” Andrade said on Tuesday at the Rhode Island State House. “I am happy to be fighting at home in front of my fans. It is the most comfortable place in the world to be and I look forward to regaining my title and defending in front of all my loyal fans. I just want to thank them for their support during the last year. I look forward to seeing all of my fans at the fight.”
Andrade was stripped of his title by the WBO on July 31 due to inactivity. He appealed the decision the following week but it was upheld.
“I am very excited about Demetrius getting back in the ring,” said Artie Pelullo, who runs Banner Promotions. “He is one of the top junior middleweights in the world. I predict within a year that he will be fighting for and winning the junior middleweight championship of the world for a second time.”
“I am thrilled that Demetrius is back,” said promoter Joe DeGuardia of Star Boxing. “I have always felt he has the ability to be the best in the world.”
Banner Promotions and Star Boxing co-promote Andrade.
Pucheta (20-2, 11 KOs) hails from Argentina and has won his last three fights in a row. In his last bout on Oct. 4, Pucheta stopped fringe contender Bethuel Ushona in the eighth round in Windhoek, Namibia.
Francisco A. Salazar has written for RingTV since Oct. of 2013 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. Francisco also covers boxing for the Ventura County (CA) Star newspaper, Boxingscene.com, and Knockout Nation. He can be reached by email at [email protected] or on Twitter at FSalazarBoxing