David Price injured; will miss homecoming show
British heavyweight David Price has been forced to withdraw from a scheduled bout in Liverpool on June 26 due to an injury sustained in training.
The 31 year-old suffered a neck muscle injury, which will keep him out of the gym for two weeks and he is therefore unable to compete. The Matchroom Boxing show featuring Tony Bellew, Callum Smith and Rocky Fielding will continue as planned.
”Of course I’m disappointed,” Price said in a press release issued by Sauerland Promotions. ”I had been looking forward to returning home at the very top of my game and fighting in front of my home fans once again, but unfortunately that will have to wait. My neck muscle needs resting and that has disrupted my preparations and made it impossible for me to be at full fitness for June 26.”
Promoter Kalle Sauerland said, “Fortunately the neck injury is nothing too serious but the decision has been made to withdraw David from the June 26 card. David wanted to be at his best for his first fight back in Liverpool for over two years and we would not risk him fighting at anything less than 100%.
“It’s a shame for the promotion but with Tony Bellew, Callum Smith and Rocky Fielding all in action, it’s still a great card that Eddie Hearn has put together and fans can still look forward to a great night of boxing at the Echo Arena.”
Fans that require refunds for the show should contact their point of purchase.
Information provided courtesy of a press release
Tom Gray is a member of the British Boxing Writers’ Association and has contributed to various publications. Follow him on Twitter: @Tom_Gray_Boxing