Klitschko-Fury talks for summer showdown well underwayÔÇÅ
English heavyweight contender Tyson Fury is poised for a summer showdown with all-conquering RING champion Wladimir Klitschko.
Klitschko (63-3, 53 knockouts), who holds the IBF, WBO and WBA belts, faces American Bryant Jennings in New York on April 25 and if, as expected, he wins that fight it appears Fury, the WBO mandatory challenger, will be next in line for him.
“It’s a massive, massive fight. Klitschko is without doubt the best heavyweight in the world and Fury is undefeated,” Warren said to TalkSPORT radio. “Tyson is the young kid on the block and fancies a go. We’ve been in talks with them for quite a few weeks.
“If Wladimir comes through the fight with Jennings then I think we will get through things fairly quickly. We will then have 30 days to make the Klitschko-Fury or we will go to purse bids.”
Warren went on to discuss possible venues for such a highly anticipated match-up and confirmed they are pushing for it to be staged in England at one of the country’s major football grounds.
“I’m a big believer in getting the fighter the home advantage, “he said. “At the moment we are in negotiations and I hope we are close and that it will be in the UK, probably around late summer. If it is over here then it’s definitely a football stadium event.”
Manchester man Fury, 26, maintained his perfect record last month when he recorded his 24th win, including 18 inside the distance, courtesy of an 8th round TKO over Romanian Christian Hammer.
Harry Pratt is on Twitter: @gharrypratt