Friday, June 14, 2024  |



Stiverne released from hospital after being treated for dehydration

Fighters Network

Heavyweight Bermane Stiverne was released from a Las Vegas hospital on Monday after being treated for “a severe case of dehydration” after being dethroned as WBC titleholder following Saturday’s unanimous decision loss to Deontay Wilder, according to his promoter, Don King.

“We called this press conference because the Bermane we saw on Saturday night was not the Bermane we all know. Deontay Wilder did a very good job,” said King at the MGM Grand, site of the fight.

“This is not a press conference for excuses. It is for fact. The doctors at the hospital of the UMC (University Medical Center) said that he had a severe case of dehydration. His muscles were not working and they thought he had blood in his urine, so they took some tests and held him in the hospital until this morning.”

Stiverne was diagnosed with a condition called rhabdomyolys, according to a report by Yahoo!Sports.

While the 36-year-old Stiverne (24-2-1, 21 knockouts) was the first heavyweight beltholder of Haitian descent, Wilder (33-0, 32 KOs) became the first American to become a division titleholder since Shannon Briggs in 2007.

Stiverne complained after the fight that “I wasn’t myself tonight,” adding, “I felt 100 percent mentally but I couldn’t cut the ring off like I usually do…I was throwing hard punches but I could only throw two at a time.”

Wilder out-landed Stiverne overall by more than 2-to-1 (227-to-110) in total punches, comprised of a 107-to-72 advantage in power shots and 120-to-38 in jabs.

“I want to apologize for not making the post-fight press conference. Unfortunately I was not able to perform in the fight like I wanted to due to severe dehydration and muscle damage. I did not know it was that serious until they told me. I could have died from it. I am happy to just be myself, walk and talk again. Thank God for this; that’s really what matters to me to be healthy right now. I did not know the severity of it Saturday night,” said Stiverne.

“I was able to give the people a good show, 12 rounds of boxing. If I had to do it again, I would do it again. This is not the end for me. I will give it a couple weeks and then get back to work. I have a vision for this but right now, it’s just on pause. It’s just a matter of time before I will get back on my feet and walk again. When it comes to my health, I have been released from the hospital. They would not let me leave until I was sufficiently hydrated. I am grateful.”


Note: Quotes from a release