Jermain Taylor charged with firearm discharge, Sergio Mora fight is off
Former middleweight champ Jermain Taylor has been detained and questioned for discharging a firearm in Little Rock, Arkansas on Monday afternoon. The current IBF beltholder’s Feb. 6 title defense against Sergio Mora is now off.
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette first reported the incident and that Taylor was charged on Wednesday with first-degree battery and first-degree terrorist threatening.
Because of Taylor’s latest run-in with the law, along with him being on probation for shooting his cousin last year, the 36-year-old veteran will likely face a lengthy jail sentence if he is convicted.
Promoter Lou DiBella confirmed to RingTV.com that the Taylor-Mora fight, which was to be televised live on ESPN2, is now off.
“This is very disturbing to me and his management (which includes Al Haymon),” DiBella told RingTV.com over the phone. “We’re very concerned over his mental state and his health. His boxing career is a distant second right now and he has to deal with these ramifications.
“You try to do your best to help someone. I’m very upset and disappointed (by today’s events).”
DiBella also confirmed to RingTV.com that Taylor suffered a rib injury during a sparring session on Saturday. X-rays were taken, which DiBella said he saw. Taylor was going to be removed from the fight with Mora for those reasons before Monday’s arrest.
“We were beginning to look for an opponent for Sergio,” said DiBella.
No word if Mora will still fight on Feb. 6 and whether or not the IBF will strip Taylor of the title.
Francisco A. Salazar has written for RingTV since October of 2013 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. Salazar also covers boxing for the Ventura County (CA) Star newspaper, Boxingscene.com, and Knockout Nation. He can be reached by email at [email protected] or on Twitter at FSalazarBoxing