Wednesday, February 01, 2023  |

News

Sergey Kovalev’s camp seeks exception from IBF to face Jean Pascal

09
Dec
Sergey Kovalev (R) on his way to taking the IBF and WBA light heavyweight titles from Bernard Hopkins on Nov. 8, 2014. Photo by Naoki Fukuda.

Sergey Kovalev (R) on his way to taking the IBF and WBA light heavyweight titles from Bernard Hopkins on Nov. 8, 2014. Photo by Naoki Fukuda.

 

The handlers of light heavyweight titleholder Sergey Kovalev have applied for an exception with the IBF which, if granted, would allow him to face Jean Pascal in a planned March 14 bout rather than mandatory challenger Nadjib Mohammedi, IBF Championships Chairman Lindsey Tucker informed RingTV.com on Tuesday.

Kovalev (26-0-1, 23 knockouts), who also holds the WBA and WBO titles, is coming off last month’s unanimous decision over Bernard Hopkins while Pascal (29-2-1, 17 KOs) was briefly in the ring this past Saturday against Roberto Bolonti, resulting in a no-contest.

Tucker said the request from Main Events’ attorney, Pat English, arrived at the IBF’s offices on Monday to organization president Daryl Peoples, who will make a ruling.



“Daryl just got the official request yesterday. He has up to 10 days to issue a ruling. 10 days from yesterday is Dec. 18, 2014,” stated Tucker in an e-mail to RingTV.com. “I can’t predict if the 11 member Board of Directors will grant or deny the request. The whole process could take 10 days.”

Main Events’ CEO Kathy Duva, who handles Kovalev, and Jean Bedard of InterBox, which has Pascal, have been in negotiations for the fight.

“We’re finalizing details this week and I’m sure that we’ll have details by the end of the week but sometimes you just have to wait. They’re still trying to find out what building is available,” said Duva during a Monday interview with RingTV.com. “We absolutely expect to reach a deal by the end of the week.”

Pascal, 32, still is the mandatory challenger to face current RING and WBC champion Adonis Stevenson (24-1, 20 KOs), who is scheduled for a Dec. 19 date with Russian Dmitry Sukhotsky in Quebec City. The Bell Centre in Montreal has been placed on hold on for a potential April 4 showdown with Pascal, according to Stevenson’s promoter, Yvon Michel.

 

close

SIGN UP TO GET RING NEWS ALERTS