Yamaguchi Falcao to seek redemption vs. Martin Fidel Rios
Brazilian Olympic bronze medalist and middleweight prospect Yamaguchi Falcao plans to “punish” Argentina’s Martin Fidel Rios “like a parent is punishing the kid” in today’s rematch of their controversial no-contest in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Their first fight in January, the professional debut for Falcao (2-0, 1 KO), ended in a double disqualification. Both Rios (13-2-2, 7 KOs) and Falcao were warned for repeated fouls before the referee disqualified both of them.
“I was disappointed with the first time, and I didn’t like the result. I want to show the whole world and Brazil what Yamaguchi Falcao is all about,” Falcao, a southpaw who turns 27 next month, told RingTV.com. “I wasn’t ready to fight, unfortunately. I had some problems and my head wasn’t there.
“So I wasn’t very concentrated for the fight. But, regardless, I thought I did a pretty good job for a while in the first fight. This time, however, I’m going to do a better job. I know that Rios is going to come in great shape, which I saw at the weigh-in, but it’s definitely going to be different this time.”
Falcao had previously been in action for a third-round knockout of Jesus Cruz in July that followed a unanimous decision over Fernando Najera in April.
Rios, 22, had a record of 11-0-2 with five knockouts when he fought Falcao but has since gone 3-2 with three knockout victories. In his last bout in August, Rios was stopped in the seventh round by Cristian Fabian Rios.
Falcao said Rios gave him a mouthful at Friday’s weigh-in, and that he plans to make him pay for his comments.
“Rios thinks he’s so tough, and been saying things to me like at the weigh-in. He was a little out of line, saying that I’m a nobody, and this and that. So I’m going to treat this guy like he’s my son. I’m going to punish him like a parent does a son,” said Falcao.
“This time, honestly, I have to put on a big show for the Brazilian fans. I think that this is going to be a fight like the parent is punishing the kid, that’s what I’m going to do with this guy. That’s what sort of performance you’re going to see tomorrow.”
As part of an event matching several Brazilians and Argentines, former WBA and WBO junior lightweight titleholder Acelino Freitas, a celebrity in Brazil, is expected to make an appearance.
The junior middleweight main event will feature Patrick Teixeira (23-0, 19 knockouts) of Brazil against Ulises David Lopez (28-4, 16 KOs) in a battle of southpaws.
Teixeira, 23, is coming off a unanimous decision over Mateo Damian Veron in August and Lopez, 36, scored a second-round knockout over Osvaldo Leonardo Acuna last month. Lopez is 2-2 in his last four fights.
In a third bout, Brazilian middleweight Carlos Nascimento takes on Alejandro Valori of Argentina.
Below are the weights from the five fight card:
Yamaguchi Falcao 159.13, Martin Fidel Rios 158.4
Patrick Teixeira 157.6, Ulisses David Lopez 157.6
Carlos Falcao 195.5, Alejandro Valori 199.1
Aelio Mesquita 129.1, Adriano Martins 129.3
Felipe Moledas 133.9, Edilelson Rio 133.9
ALAN SANCHEZ TO FACE ED PAREDES ON DEC. 4
Welterweight Alan Sanchez will headline a Dec. 4 “Golden Boy Live!” card against Ed Parades at the Del Mar Fairgrounds’ Bing Crosby Hall in San Diego, California, on Fox Sports 1.
Sanchez (14-3-1, 8 knockouts) will be after his third straight knockout victory, having stopped Jose Luis Ramirez Jr. in the third round in August.
Sanchez, 23, had gone 7-0-1, with four knockouts before suffering his previous loss to former titleholder Luis Collazo by unanimous decision in September 2013.
Parades (35-4-1, 23 KOs) is coming off a unanimous decision loss to Alfonso Gomez in July that ended his run at 14-0-1 with 10 knockouts over the course of his previous 15 fights.
Parades, 29, had previously suffered defeat by unanimous decision against former IBF junior middleweight titleholder Carlos Molina in April 2009.
In the junior featherweight co-feature, Manuel Avila (16-0, 7 KOs) will meet Jose Luis Araiza (31-9-1, 22 KOs), who is 2-8-1 with two knockouts in his past 11 fights.
Avila, 22, has scored two straight knockouts, and won nine of his last 10 bouts. Avila was last in action for an eighth-round knockout of Sergio Frias in August 2014.
“Dec. 4 will be a great night of boxing in Del Mar with a main event featuring two skilled fighters, Sanchez and Parades, who both have a lot on the line,” said Oscar De La Hoya, founder and president of Golden Boy.
“In the co-main event, Tino Avila stands at an exciting point in his career when each successive victory could bring him closer and closer to a potential title shot. But with each step comes more dangerous challenges for him, and by going up against a seasoned opponent who has stood in the ring and ably competed with the very best, Tino will need to dig deep to keep marching ahead.”