Andre Dirrell stops Nick Brinson for fifth straight win
Super middleweight contender Andre Dirrell scored his fifth straight win and his third stoppage during that run with a fourth-round knockout of Nick Brinson on Wednesday at Beau Rivage Resort and Casino in Biloxi, Mississippi.
A switch-hitting 2004 Olympic bronze medalist, Dirrell (23-1, 16 knockouts) staggered Brinson with a crunching counter left hook that sent his man reeling into a corner of the ring. Once Brinson (16-3-2, 6 KOs) was there, Dirrell pinned him and hammered away until referee Keith Hughes stepped in to end the fight at the 2:12 mark.
“I saw the shot. It opened up, and that’s the one that landed for me,” said Dirrell, 31, during his post-fight interview. “I’ve been working on my defense, my offense and my jab.”
Dirrell-Brinson took place in support of Jermain Taylor’s unanimous decision over IBF titleholder Sam Soliman, who was dropped four times in the fight.
Brinson, 27, had last been in action for a unanimous decision loss to Dominic Wade in June, ending his unbeaten streak of 9-0-1 with one knockout. Brinson’s previous loss had been by seventh-round knockout to Lennox Allen in November 2010.
Dirrell was coming off a fifth-round stoppage of Vladine Biosse in August that ended an 18-month ring absence.
“It’s been a downward spiral for me for a long time, so to be up on this pedestal right now and to be back in the ring and so active for the second time in eight weeks…” said Dirrell, who weighed in at 169 compared to 168.8 for Brinson.
“I’m looking for a fight in December. I just want to focus on being sharp, because these are the fights that are going to line me up for that big fight. I’m looking for the big fights, and I know it’s coming.”
Andre Dirrell is the older brother of WBC 168-pound titlist Anthony Dirrell, who dethroned Sakio Bika for the WBC’s belt by unanimous decision in a rematch of their draw in December.
Anthony Dirrell was at ringside, and got into the ring with his brother after the fight. Asked if he would ever face his brother in the ring, Andre Dirrell said “there’s not enough money in the world to make me fight him.”
“There are a lot of great fights out there on the horizon for the both of us. If I’m not chasing one title, I’m chasing the other. But when it comes to me and Anthony, the simple fact of the matter is that people die in this game,” said Andre Dirrell.
“Realizing that, and the fact that you have to do your job when you’re in there, knowing that I could potentially kill my brother in the ring or he could potentially kill me, then there’s not enough money in the world to make me fight him. I would have to tell you right now that if I was to ever fight him, then the fight would have to be rigged.”
JASON QUIGLEY ON THE DANNY O’CONNOR-ANDREW FARMER UNDERCARD ON OCT. 30
Undefeated Irish middleweight Jason Quigley will pursue his third knockout in as many victories without a loss against an opponent to be determined on an Oct. 30 Golden Boy Live! event on Fox Sports 1 and Fox Deportes from Plymouth Memorial Hall in Plymoth, Mass.
Quigley, 23, scored an 82-second knockout over Howard Reece in July that was followed by his third-round stoppage of Fernando Najera in August.
In the main event, southpaw junior welterweight Danny O’Connor (23-2, 7 KOs) will attempt to rebound from a split-decision loss to Vivian Harris in his last fight in October 2013. O’Connor’s absence was due in large part to to an elbow injury.
O’Connor, 29, will face Andrew Farmer (18-2, 7 KOs), a 28-year-old winner of five straight fights since being stopped in the fourth round by Ikem Orji in March 2010. Farmer is coming off a unanimous decision over David Warren Huffman in May.
In the co-main event, lightweight contender Sharif Bogere (25-1, 17 KOs) will face an opponent to be determined.
Also on the card is a welterweight bout matching Michael Owen McLaughlin (8-1-1, 4 KOs) and Derek Silveira (10-1, 4 KOs), the latter of whom lost a majority decision to O’Connor in January 2013.
Also on the card are a heavyweight fight matching Julian Pollard and John Orr, one between super middleweights Paul Gonzalves and Sergio Cabrera, and a middleweight clash involving Mark DeLuca and Ryan Davis.
Also in action in separate bouts will be lightweight Lamont Roach and light heavyweight D’Mitrius Ballard.
DUSTY HERNANDEZ-HARRISON UNDERCARD FOR NOV. 1 ANNOUNCED
The full card to be headlined by welterweight Dusty Hernandez-Harrison (23-0, 12 KOs) on Nov. 1 at The Constitution Hall in his native Washington, D.C., has been announced by his attorney and promoter, Jeff Fried, of All-In Entertainment.
Hernandez-Harrison, 20, will face an opponent to be determined as part of an event that will include welterweight Larry Recio (7-0, 5 KOs), middleweight Jarrett Hurd (12-0, 7 KOs), lightweight Mykal Fox, junior middleweight Brandon Quarles, heavyweight Dwayne McRae (14-3, 8 KOs) and junior featherweight Marquel Johns.
“I am excited by the chance to fight in my hometown,” said Hernandez-Harrison. “I am grateful to all the fans and my team for their continued support.”
In his last fight in July, Hernandez-Harrison unanimously decisioned Wilfredo Acuna on the undercard of WBA middleweight titleholder Gennady Golovkin’s third-round stoppage over ex-beltholder Daniel Geale at New York’s Madison Square Garden.