Lem’s latest: Miguel Vazquez vs. Mickey Bey in the works?
Talks appear to be ongoing for a match-up between IBF lightweight beltholder Miguel Vazquez and once-beaten Mickey Bey, Championships Chairman Lindsey Tucker informed RingTV.com on Monday.
THE RING’s number one-rated 135-pounder, Vazquez (34-3, 13 knockouts) signed with Al Haymon in June. Tucker said Haymon called him on July 29 regarding a potential bout between Vazquez and Bey (20-1-1, 10 KOs), the latter of whom is promoted by Mayweather Promotions.
“I received a telephone call last week when I was in Florida saying that they wanted to do that fight but I never got anything in writing requesting approval,” said Tucker.
“But we would approve it because, within the rules, they can do that fight because it’s an optional defense and he can fight anybody in the top 15…They didn’t give me a date, they just said that they wanted to do that fight.”
FightHype.com originally reported that Vazquez-Bey could land on the Sept. 13 undercard of a rematch between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Vazquez, 27, was last in action for a unanimous decision over Denis Shafikov in February that represented his sixth title defense. Having won 13 consecutive fights, Vazquez has not suffered defeat since falling by decision to current junior middleweight Saul Alvarez in June 2008.
Bey, 31, is coming off a unanimous decision over Alan Herrera in May that followed a third round stoppage of Carlos Cardenas in December. These wins helped Bey rebound from a 10th round knockout loss to John Molina in July 2013.
IBF ELIMINATOR ORDERED BETWEEN MICHAEL FARENAS AND DIEGO MAGDALENO
The IBF has ordered an eliminator bout between junior lightweight Michael Farenas (39-4-4, 31 KOs) and Diego Magdaleno (26-1, 10 KOs) for the right to face titleholder Rances Barthelemy, Tucker informed RingTV.com.
In his last fight on July 2, Farenas scored an eighth round stoppage of previously unbeaten prospect Mark Davis that represented the southpaw’s fifth consecutive victory since his unanimous decision loss to Yuriorkis Gamboa in December 2012.
Magdaleno, 27, was last in action for a unanimous decision over Oscar Bravo in May that represented his third straight victory since falling by split decision to then-WBO beltholder Roman “Rocky” Martinez in April 2013.
Barthelemy is coming off a unanimous decision that dethroned then-beltholder Argenis Mendez on July 10. Barthelemy will face Fernando David Saucedo on or around the date of Sept. 27, according to attorney Leon Margules, with the winner of Farenas vs. Magdaleno to be next in line.
Tucker said the handlers of Saucedo made a deal to face Barthelemy, who is entitled to an optional defense against Saucedo.
“When Farenas fought Davis, it was for the No. 2 spot. Farenas now must beat the leading available contender to become No. 1, and the mandatory challenger. No. 3 Saucedo was the leading available contender,” said Tucker, in an e-mail to RingTV.com.
“The IBF ordered Farenas vs. Saucedo to fight for No. 1. However, Saucedo pulled out of the eliminator to fight Barthelemy. Now we are going down the list to find the highest ranked available contender to fight Farenas. Should No. 6, Magdaleno turn the fight down, we will go back to No. 4, Romain Jacob, because he is now available.”
Margules said he Barthelemy-Saucedo could happen in the fall.
“I am waiting for a confirmation on that date but it will certainly be around that time,” said Margules, later qualifying the Barthelemy-Saucedo clash as potentially happening “either in late September or early October.”
SERGIO THOMPSON DEFEATS ADONIS AGUELO
Mexican junior lightweight Sergio Thompson (30-3, 26 KOs) earned a unanimous decision over Adones Aguelo (21-10-2, 13 KOs) of the Philippines on Saturday for his third straight win in an eliminator for the right to face WBC titleholder Takashi Miura.
Thompson, 30, had previously been in action in March, when he rose to the lightweight division for a unanimous decision over Ricardo Alvarez, the older brother of junior middleweight Saul Alvarez.
In the co-main event, Mexican welterweight Silverio Ortiz unanimously decisioned Fernando Castaneda.
SUPER MIDDLEWEIGHT TYRON ZEUGE ON YOAN PABLO HERNANDEZ-FIRAT ARSLAN CARD
Super middleweight Tyron Zeuge (14-0, 8 KOs) will face Baker Barakat (39-16-4, 27 KOs) on the undercard of an August 16 main event featuring a defense by RING cruiserweight champion Yoan Pablo Hernandez against Firat Arslan at the Erfurt Exhibition Hall in Thuringia, Germany, Sauerland Events announced on Monday.
LEONARD BUNDU SD 12 FRANKIE GAVIN
Welterweight Leonard Bundu (31-0-2, 11 KOs) won a split decision over Frankie Gavin (19-1, 12 KOs) in London on Friday.