Stallone: Ortiz to star in ‘Expendables 3’
WBC welterweight titleholder Victor Ortiz will star in the third installment of the action movie series “The Expendables,” as will UFC star Ronda Rousey, actor Sylvester Stallone announced on his Twitter account on Wednesday.
“Ronda Rousey will show championship form in Expendables 3!” wrote Stallone, whose first two films starred former UFC star Randy Couture. “So will multi-champion Victor Ortiz!”
Stallone was inducted into The International Hall of Fame in 2011, alongside Mike Tyson, for influence on the sport through the Rocky movies and The Contender TV series.
Earlier this month, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer informed RingTV.com that Ortiz (29-4-2, 22 knockouts), who was recently involved in Dancing With The Stars, will end what will have been a 15-month ring absence by returning to action in September.
Ortiz, 26, was last victorious with a unanimous decision over Andre Berto in April of 2011, but has lost his last two fights to Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Josesito Lopez by fourth- and ninth-round stoppages, respectively.
Ortiz could not be reached for an immediate comment, although his younger brother, Temo Ortiz, said that his sibling is thrilled about the opportunity.
“I guess that they’ve been casting for the movie. I just spoke to him yesterday, and he was very excited about shooting the movie,” said Temo.
“Victor just found out that he was in it about a week ago. So he’s very excited that he’s going to shoot that movie. It’s an opportunity to open some even better deals and even better doors in life.”
Photo by Hogan Photos, Golden Boy Promotions
Lem Satterfield can be reached at [email protected]