Monaghan to fight on Marquez-Bradley card
Popular undefeated light heavyweight Sean Monaghan, of Long Beach, N.Y., has signed with Top Rank and will make his debut with the company on Oct. 12 as part of the undercard to Tim Bradley vs. Juan Manuel Marquez at The Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.
“We are delighted that Seanie has decided to be promoted by Top Rank. He is a fan-friendly fighter who has a large and loyal fan base,” said Top Rank CEO Bob Arum.
Monaghan (18-0, 11 knockouts) was last in the ring in April when he scored a first-round stoppage with a vicious right hand against Dion Stanley (11-5, 7 KOs), of Kansas City, Mo., at Radio City Music Hall.
“It’s an honor to sign with Top Rank,” said Monaghan, who turns 32 in August. “I have really improved, and I know Top Rank will work hard to get me the big fights.”
Monaghan-Stanley took place on the undercard of Guillermo Rigondeaux’s unanimous decision over Nonito Donaire for the RING, WBO and WBA junior featherweight titles.
“We look forward to building on that momentum,” said Carl Moretti, Top Rank’s vice president of boxing operations. “Seanie’s team has done a terrific job in developing him as an attraction and as a top light heavyweight prospect. Top Rank’s goal will be to bring him to the next level nationally and internationally as well as secure a world title opportunity.”
Monaghan’s team likes what it sees so far.
“We are very excited. Seanie has fought on some Top Rank-promoted boxing events, and everyone with the company is very professional,” said P.J. Kavanagh, Monaghan’s manager.
“Top Rank is the No. 1 promoter in the world. Seanie wants to fight for the world title, and we think being with Top Rank will help us get there. The sky’s the limit for Seanie.”