Pascal set to return against Kuziemski on Dec. 14
Fans won’t have to turn a calendar page before they see Jean Pascal back in the ring again.
At a press gathering on Monday, Groupe Yvon Michel formally announced Pascal’s return on Dec. 14 against Aleksy Kuziemski. The event will be offered on pay-per-view across Canada, and will be broadcast by WealthTV in the United States.
Pascal was last seen in May of 2011, dropping a unanimous decision and his RING light heavyweight title to Bernard Hopkins.
Since then, a litany of delays and injuries have kept him on the shelf.
Most recently, an August date with IBF titleholder Tavoris Cloud was canceled after the Canadian injured his hand in training, forfeiting a date on Showtime in the process.
The 30-year old feels that the timing is perfect to get back in the ring and shake off the rust.
“I know that the time is right. My training is going well, my health is excellent, and I started hurting my sparring partners in training,” said Pascal (26-2-1, 16 knockouts). “In 2013, I will be world champion, and I will crush anyone who tries to stop me. “
According to Michel, Pascal has two option proposals for 2013, barring a victory over Kuziemski. The first would be to revisit the ill-fated Cloud bout in February on Showtime, and the second, a rematch with Chad Dawson in March on HBO.
Kuziemski (23-4, 7 KOs) has been a litmus test for borderline Top-10 heavyweights in the past, falling to Nathan Cleverley and Juergen Braehmer in separate world title attempts.
“He certainly has the tools, maturity, and experience to provide a solid examination for our boxer,” said Michel.
As expected, the co-feature of the evening will see light heavyweight prospect Eleider Alvarez battle veteran Edison Miranda.
Canadian middleweight David Lemieux will also be on the card, as well as fellow countryman and super featherweight prospect Logan Cotton McGuinness.