Mitchell-Banks, Broner fights moved to Nov. 3
It appears that former WBO junior lightweight beltholder Adrien Broner and heavyweight prospect Seth “Mayhem” Mitchell will headline an HBO-televised double-header on Nov. 3 at a site to be determined rather than putting their unbeaten records on the line on Oct. 6 from Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer has informed RingTV.com that the situation has arisen as the result of difficulty in securing an opponent for Broner (24-0, 20 knockouts), a talented 23-year-old who scored his fourth straight stoppage victory with last month’s HBO-televised knockout of Vicente Escobedo from the U.S. Bank Arena in Broner’s hometown of Cincinnati.
Mitchell (25-0-1, 19 KOs), of Gwynn Park, Md., will be facing Johnathon Banks (28-1-1, 18 KOs), with whom he had been forced out of a scheduled July 14 bout as a result of having strained his right hand.
“We have locked in Nov. 3 as the date, and we have put together a list of a number of opponents for Adrien Broner,” said Schaefer. “So it is guaranteed that Seth is going to fight Johnathon Banks, but for Adrien, we’ve locked in a certain number of opponents and we’re going to see who it’s going to be in the end for Nov. 3.”
Broner lost his WBO belt at the scales before entering the ring against Escobedo, having missed the contracted weight of 130 pounds both the day prior to the fight and during a Saturday morning re-weigh.
Broner, who will debut as a lightweight, has expressed some frustration with the fact that he has not been able to land an opponent.
“I ain’t worried about it. I just got out of the gym from sparring,” said Broner. “I don’t matter when I fight or who fight, it’ll be a knockout win for me.”
Lem Satterfield can be reached at [email protected]