Wednesday, December 07, 2022  |



Guerrero stops Nicklow in four


Showtime concluded an entertaining season of its ShoBox: The New Generation series with a bang on Friday as all three televised fights ended in knockouts.

Middleweight prospect Fernando Guerrero (17-0, 14 knockouts) stopped amateur rival Jesse Nicklow (19-2-2, 7 KOs) in the fourth round of their main event from the Grand Casino Hinckley in Hinckley, Minnesota.

After exchanging punches in close for most of the fight Guerrero, of Salisbury, Md., by way of the Dominican Republic, decked Nicklow sideways and halfway out of the ring with a big right hook one minute into the fourth. The gutsy Baltimore native got up swinging and went toe to toe with Guerrero but was continually wobbled, which prompted referee Mark Nelson to end the bout at 2:09 of the round.

In the co-featured bout, junior middleweight prospect Shawn Porter (12-0, 10 KOs) stopped Jamar Patterson (8-1, 4 KOs) in the fourth round after flooring his overmatched opponent with a leaping lead left hook. Porter quickly finished matters with a follow-up attack punctuated with more accurate hooks that forced referee Celestino Ruiz to stop the fight at 1:54 of the round.

Porter is best known to hardcore fans as Manny Pacquiao's chief sparring partner during the pound-for-pound king's camp for Miguel Cotto but the 22-year-old native of Akron, Ohio is quickly making a name for himself.

In the opening bout of the broadcast, welterweight prospect Lanard Lane (10-0, 7 KOs) scored a second-round stoppage of fellow 147-pound up-and-comer Said El Harrack (8-1, 3 KOs).

After stunning El Harrak with a series of head-snapping punches early in the opening round, Lane, of Philadelphia, Penn., twice dropped the Las Vegas-based Moroccan with right hands before the first bell.

El Harrak was game but visibly wobbled as he made his way back to his corner where hall-of-famer Mike McCallum tried to calm him down. El Harrak was caught again by a big right hand at the start of the second round and as Lane swarmed around the reeling fighter the referee (Nelson) waved off the bout at 1:38 of the round.

El Harrak, who was on his feet and punching back when the fight was stopped, was emotionally crushed by Nelson's call. The ShoBox commentators indicated that the stoppage may have been premature.