The Ring Ratings Update
Shane Mosley’s ninth-round knockut of Antonio Margarito did more than upset the odds and shake up the welterweight division. The veteran’s stellar performance sent ripples through THE RING’s pound-for-pound rankings.
Mosley (46-5, 39 knockouts), who entered the Margarito bout without a pound-for-pound ranking, re-enters the Top 10 at No. 6, replacing Margarito (37-6, 27 KOs), who departs.
Miguel Cotto (32-1, 26 KOs), No. 8 last week, is also gone. Cotto’s exit pushed up undefeated RING junior flyweight champ Ivan Calderon (32-0, 6 KOs) from No. 9 to No. 8, and RING junior welterweight champ Ricky Hatton (45-1, 32 KOs) from No. 10 to No. 9. Top junior featherweight contender and dual beltholder Celestino Caballero (31-2, 22 KOs) makes his pound-for-pound debut at No. 10.
“Mosley’s stunning upset of the heavily favored Margarito necessitated a major shakeup in The Ring’s pound-for-pound ratings,” said Nigel Collins, editor of THE RING. “Margarito and Cotto, both of whom were stopped in their most recent fights, exit, at least for the time being. Mosley takes one of the vacant slots, while 122-pounder Celestino Caballero makes his debut.
“Some may be surprised by Caballero’s inclusion, but a quick check of the records of other fighters under consideration – Paul Williams, Arthur Abraham, Chris John, Vic Darchinyan, Chad Dawson, Edwin Valero, and Roman Gonzalez – reveals that Celestino has more wins over top-notch opposition than any of the others on the short list.”
Only two weight classes in THE RING’s divisional ratings were affected by the action of the past week; obviously the welterweights were one of them.
Saturday’s 147-pound showdown pitted a former champ (Mosley) against a perennial contender (Margarito), who has been ranked among THE RING’s Top 10 welterweights for seven and half years.
Margarito took Cotto’s No. 1 spot when he stopped the Puerto Rican powerhouse last July.
However, Mosley, who dropped a close decision to Cotto in November of ’07, assumed Margarito’s No. 1 place by knocking the Mexican mauler out.
Margarito dropped to Mosley’s old spot at No. 3. Cotto, who fell to No. 3 after losing to Margarito and then advanced to No. 2 when Paul Williams left the division to campaign at higher weight classes, remains at No. 2.
“This was one of those awkward situations where Fighter A beats Fighter B, and then Fighter C, who has already lost to Fighter B, beats Fighter A,” Collins said. “There is no perfect solution under these circumstances, but THE RING and its Ratings Advisory Panel feel that the most recent result should prevail over the outcome of earlier bouts.”
The other division that experienced movement this past week was cruiserweight.
Marco Huck (24-1, 19 KOs), who stopped previously undefeated Geoffrey Battelo in thee rounds Saturday, moved up from No. 8 to No. 7, which bumps down former beltholder Enzo Maccarinelli (29-2, 22 KOs) from No. 7 to No. 8.
Huck’s greater activity was the reason for the switch. He has tallied five straight knockout wins since suffering his only pro loss, a 12th-round TKO to Steve Cunningham in April of 2008. Maccarinelli, on the other hand, has fought just once since his first pro loss, to David Haye in March of 2008.