Dereck Chisora has been forced to withdraw from his showdown against Tyson Fury this Saturday (July 26) at the Phones 4 U Arena in Manchester after suffering a fractured left hand in his final sparring session.
“I can’t tell you how disappointed I am to have to pull out of the fight against Fury, but it is on the advice of my specialist,” said Chisora. “I’m sorry for the fans that will miss this great fight between me and Tyson this Saturday, but once my hand is healed and I’m given the all-clear to train and punch again, a new date will be set.
“I was in fantastic shape and had a great training camp, probably the best so far in my career, and was looking forward to getting revenge. I’m sorry to have to pull out on Fury, as I know that he had been training hard and it was going to be a great fight between two top athletes and I hope we can get it on again soon.”
Promoter Frank Warren said, “Everybody involved in the fight worked hard to get it on and for this to happen on the final week is a big disappointment to everyone. There’s no way that Dereck could fight with his hand fractured and there’s no way I would let him get into the ring and fight with an injury like that.
“Obviously you’ve got to feel for Tyson who, through no fault of his own, has been hit hard by this postponement after all the training he has put in. It’s a big heavyweight fight with a lot at stake for both fighters and we’re working hard to get a new date confirmed. It’s an old clich├®, but the show goes on, and despite Chisora v Fury off the show, a cracking undercard packed with title fights will still go ahead.”
This is the third occasion that Fury has looked on helplessly as a lucrative payday passed him by. Former WBA heavyweight titleholder David Haye pulled out twice early last year, due to injuries, and the colossal Brit subsequently lost millions. This news will be equally devastating.
Tom Gray is a member of the British Boxing Writers’ Association and has contributed to various publications. Follow him on Twitter: @Tom_Gray_Boxing