An official announcement was released on Thursday regarding the previously reported deal for WBA middleweight titleholder Gennady Golovkin to defend his belt against Curtis “Showtime” Stevens on Nov. 2 in The Theatre at New York’s Madison Square Garden on HBO, as have plans for a two-city press tour covering New York and Los Angeles on Wednesday and Thursday of next week.
“We’re very excited to announce the return of Gennady Golovkin to Madison Square Garden. We believe he’s the best middleweight in the world, and look forward to him proving that in the ring again on Nov. 2,” said Tom Loeffler, managing director of K2 Promotions, which handles Golovkin.
“Curtis Stevens has had a number of impressive performances and has been very vocal in wanting to challenge the most feared middleweight. We commend him on taking this fight, a challenge many other highly-regarded middleweights are unwilling to consider.”
Golovkin (27-0, 24 knockouts) scored his 14th straight stoppage win against Matthew Macklin in June.
“Curtis was watching at ringside the night that Golovkin fought Matthew Macklin. Immediately afterwards he called and asked us to make the fight,” said Kathy Duva, president of Main Events, who promotes Stevens.
“We knew we had to get it done. The two biggest punchers in the middleweight division will come head to head – don’t blink. Nov. 2 on HBO will be a great night for all boxing fans.”
“I am happy to fight in front of the boxing fans in New York City again,” said Golovkin. “Madison Square Garden is a very special place for me. I will put on my best performance and defend my titles once again in this great city.”
A Brooklyn native, Stevens (25-3, 18 KOs) is coming off a first-round stoppage of Saul Roman on Aug. 3 after having earned an eight-round unanimous decision over Derrick Findley in April at The Garden.
“Nov. 2 is my turn to shine and that night I am going to be great,” said Stevens. “The WBA belt is coming home to Brooklyn.”
Lem Satterfield can be reached at [email protected]