An online report by Forbes’ Magazine estimates that pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s recently-announced, exclusive multi-fight venture with Showtime and its parent company, CBS Corporation, could be worth a guaranteed $250,000 million.
Mayweather will make his first-ever appearance on Showtime Pay Per View against Robert Guerrero on May 4 under the terms of the “revenue-sharing arrangement” with Showtime Pay Per View, which could have the five-division titleholder fighting “six times over a period of 30 months” according to a press release from Mayweather Promotions.
“Mayweather is likely looking at a guarantee of around $200 million for the six-fight deal. Pay-per-view revenues will push that total past $250 million. How much past $250 million depends on the quality and marketability of his opponents, as well as Mayweather staying undefeated,” states the Forbes report.
“The biggest athlete contract on the books right now is the New York Yankees’ $275 million deal with Alex Rodriguez which spans 10 years. Mayweather has a chance to top that if, and it is a big if, he fights six times over the next two-and-a-half-years.
Mayweather (43-0, 26 knockouts), who is coming off a unanimous decision victory over Miguel Cotto for the WBA’s junior middleweight belt last May that according to Forbes, netted Mayweather a total of $45 million.
“We’re really happy about the deal, and we’re really looking forward to working with a great company like Showtime/CBS,” said Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe. “The business model that we have put into place, in my opinion, will never, ever be duplicated.”
It appears that WBC junior middleweight beltholder Saul “Canelo” Alvarez may be in line to face WBA counterpart Austin Trout as the co-feature to Mayweather-Guerrero, which will transpire on the Cinco De Mayo weekend.
If Alvarez wins, the unbeaten Mexican star wants to face Mayweather on Sept. 14 (Mexican Independence Day weekend), meaning that high-profile, potential pay-per-view record-breaking match up would have to take place on Showtime.
In July, Mayweather was named the highest-paid American athlete for 2012, topping Sports Illustrated’s Fortunate 50 ahead of golfers Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods at Nos. 2 and 3.
Nicknamed “Money,” Mayweather made $85 million for his last two fights, comprised of his fourth-round knockout victory in September of 2011 that dethroned Victor Ortiz as WBC welterweight belholder, and his triumph over Cotto.
In June, Mayweather topped Forbes’ list of its 100 highest paid athletes internationally, trumping second-place boxing rival Manny Pacquiao with $62 million from earnings and endorsements.
On July 11 of last year, Mayweather was named “The Best Fighter,” or, what is essentially Fighter of The Year at the ESPYs’, trumping other nominees such as RING super middleweight champion Andre Ward and mixed martial arts stars Jon Jones and Anderson Silva.
Mayweather, who turns 36 on Feb. 24, was chosen for the fourth time in the past six years by the ESPYs, with Pacquiao taking the honors the other two times, including for 2011.
Both Mayweather and Alvarez had targeted May 4 for their returns, in addition to each boxer having said that he wants to fight on Sept. 14.
With their big names, Alvarez and Mayweather stand a chance to bring unprecedented attention to themselves.
Golden Boy President Oscar De La Hoya told RingTV.com in an interview last montth that he believes that a card featuring both Mayweather and Alvarez will surpass the numbers drawn by his split-decision loss to Mayweather, who dethroned him for the WBC’s junior middleweight belt in May of 2007.
Mayweather-De La Hoya holds the all-time record of pay-per-view buys with more than 2.5 million.
MAYWEATHER LANDS IN MICHIGAN
A native of Grand Rapids, Mich., Mayweather landed in Detroit on Wednesday in advance of Saturday night’s Showtime-televised IBF junior middleweight title defense by Cornelius Bundrage (32-4, 19 KOs) against veteran Ishe Smith (24-5, 11 KOs) at the Masonic Temple Theater in Detroit,.
Smith has won three straight, two of them by knockout, since falling by unanimous decision to Fernando Guerrero, whom he floored in the eighth round of their clash in July of 2010.
Also to be featured on the card is an all-Michigan battle as Detroit prospect J’Leon Love (14-0, 8 KOs) takes on Derek Findley (20-8, 13 KOs), of Chicago.
Photo by Jeff Fusco, Hogan Photos, Golden Boy Promotions
Photo by Jeff Kowalsky, Hogan Photos, Golden Boy Promotions
Lem Satterfield can be reached at [email protected]